linux distrubtions

closed account (i8bjz8AR)
Just bought a lenevo yoga 900 for school. Cs Major so I will mostly use it for programming and the occasion word document typing. I had linux 14.04 on my laptop last semester while I was learning linux, and never really had any problems with it. I think we will be using g++5 alot more this semester, if that matters. My problem is that i am not sure what would be the best distribution to put on this laptop. I don't want to have any serious driver problems or something not supported once the semester hits when i am in full throttle with assignments. My main concern is the 3200 * 1800 screen resolution. I read about dpi earlier(and some distributions not handling that resolution well yet) and I am not sure what to put on this, in which would be most compatible with that laptop. Recommendations? Thanks for any advice!
The most popular distribution is Ubuntu and I am pretty sure it comes with pretty high DPI, also mint is a great choice although I prefers kali for myself...
When it comes to linux distributions, amongst the bigger ones it mostly comes down to personal preference because they are all mostly stable and reliable. That being said, I'd suggest you Elementary OS. It's a one of a kind distribution. It's streamlined for perfomance and usability, with a gorgeous UI. And talking about it's stability and progression, it's community has been growing a lot and with it so has the entirety of the project so it really is a safe bet.
closed account (i8bjz8AR)
I get confused with Linux and Ubuntu sometimes I think... So pretty much, is Ubuntu just a distribution or flavor of Linux? So last semester, I used Linux 14.04, which isn't Ubuntu? Thanks for the suggestion @shadder, I have heard things about both mint and kali and will check those out tomorrow.

I've heard a littie bit about Elemantary os too I believe, would you say its better then Linux 14.04? @lockandstrike

My main concern was just the screen being a higher resolution, but it seems like all that has been worked out mostly by the devs? Thanks!

Also, tablet mode isn't really a big deal at all since I probably wont use it much in that way at all, besides watching youtube at night in that mode, but do you know if those versions work in tablet mode?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Disclaimer: I'm no Linux expert, I don't even like it that much (especially Ubuntu) but I have used it on and off for many years.

I get confused with Linux and Ubuntu sometimes I think... So pretty much, is Ubuntu just a distribution or flavor of Linux? So last semester, I used Linux 14.04, which isn't Ubuntu?
I think you are confusing Linux and Ubuntu. Linux is the kernel of the OS (I believe it is at 4.7 now).

I have heard things about both mint and kali and will check those out tomorrow.
I would not recommend Kali as your day to day OS, it is designed for a specific purpose which is not an everyday OS.

As you seem to be confused still about Linux, I would suggest sticking to the mainline distributions that have a lot of users/support and is more likely that someone else has done what you want to do. It seems pointless having an esoteric OS when you are still trying to find your feet. If you are interested in Linux for future employability, look at the community-supported versions of enterprise class distros like openSUSE, centOS.

I would also suggest talking to your school* see what they suggest.
* If your school has got good IT techs, talk to them as well.
So, you used Ubuntu 14.04 which if I'm not mistaken was the stable version which has since then been replaced by 16.04. Ubuntu, Elementary, Kali, Mint, etc, are flavors or distributions of linux, which is the kernel, the base underlying system between all these distributions.

To directly answer your question, for me Elementary right now is quickly becoming the best mainstream Linux distro. It's cared for by people who are putting a lot into their project and you feel that in the forums and support groups because of the very fast and compreensive answers to all problems you might face
do you know if those versions work in tablet mode?
I can confirm that touchscreen support does exist within the Linux software ecosystem. In my case, it works with minimal work done on my end. HiDPI support also exists and should work fine as well. If it doesn't, getting it to work shouldn't be terribly complicated.

I would recommend Linux Mint.

-Albatross
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.