Your feelings, TheIdeasMan

Pages: 123
The policy we are talking about is:

Don't post homework questions
Programmers are good at spotting homework questions; most of us have done them ourselves. Those questions are for you to work out, so that you will learn from the experience. It is OK to ask for hints, but not for entire solutions.

That policy is pointless if it is allowed to be bypassed by making it a job. Seems rather pointless to have a site about learning to program if you don't crack down on people trying to pay in order to take the easy way out. That is just my opinion though.
That's from ESR's article. It's not an actual rule here, it's just a tip to maximize the chances you'll get a helpful response.
Like I said, if someone wants to pay to not learn, that's their business. It doesn't affect anyone but them.
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
From the cplusplus FAQ:

Can I get a tutor?

If you are struggling learning C++ be reassured — this is normal. It is part of the retraining of your mind to think in a way totally alien to what you grew up with. It takes time and struggle.

You may be tempted to ask for a tutor. For many people, this is a useful resource. But it is far from the most useful.

If you are looking for a tutor from this website (or any other, for that matter), you won’t likely find one very useful to you. Most people who volunteer on forums like this do not have the time or interest for one-on-one tutoring in basic, beginner stuff.

http://www.cplusplus.com/faq/beginners/tutors/
helios wrote:
It doesn't affect anyone but them.

I disagree. I think it affects the reputation of the site that allows it.
Be that as it may, it doesn't change a thing.
I just found this topic.

Based on the information I found, I decided to stop with the mentorship of Closed Account, although he did not say anything yet.

We have already two mentors, and I understood others are willing to join too but feel there are enough already.

For now, that is the case, but I don't know how long these mentors are able to help all the time, when the group grows. So please mentors, let me or TheRabbitologist now if you are interested.

Last edited on
closed account (1vD3vCM9)
Just a quick question, why one of my replies was reported?

Because trolls gonna troll. Lots of people get their posts reported for no good reason.
closed account (1vD3vCM9)
Havent thought about this. Thanks.

Or someone reported the wrong post. I did that once.
"Naughty Albatross"? Really?

All well. At least the account is limited now.

-Albatross
Well that appears to have gotten his account shut. Imitating a person is a quick way of getting in trouble when you are trolling.
@gentleguy

BS. There is no doubt you are here to disrupt the forum. Do you really expect anyone to believe your apology? And the number of posts you have doesn't come into it - it's behaviour that is looked at.

The main trait of a troll is that they are absolute liars. Feigning innocence just doesn't wash.

When are you going to fess up about all the other users you have created?
Last edited on
I think he should have considered his decision before he did that since I have greater than 1000 posts. Have some mercy.

That's cute.
I have created gentleguy. 8 posts in total. That is all.
Why do you want that kind of information?

Trolls create multiple accounts so they can continue trolling when one account gets terminated. People here to help have no need to create more than one account.

You created "gentleguy" back on 28 June, "closed account"/Naughty Albatross on 4 July. Now the question is how many other accounts with low post counts are being held in reserve, waiting to be activated when/if other accounts are closed.

FYI, even the choice of "closed account" as an account name was suspicious as to your intent. It screamed "I'm here to TROLL!"

Twice now with two different accounts you claim you are not here to cause trouble, but your actions show otherwise.

Post count doesn't matter at all. There are people who participate very rarely, yet when they do they offer excellent advice.

You asked for advice/opinions, yet you continue to ignore it and try to justify your trolling.
gentleguy wrote:
Why did the admin not send me a prior notice saying that 'there is a warning' or something?
'

Oh, but you were warned. You were warned plenty of times in this thread, and hundreds of times as reported posts. It doesn't matter that you have 1k+ posts if those posts are all predominantly garbage.

-Albatross
Last edited on
> And I am getting reported here too... Not sure why my posts were reported.

This appears to be vindictive reporting. If you have made a reasonable post and it is reported, just ignore it. Blithely.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they are reporting him for trolling due to his actions. It is coming across as completely insincere to claim ignorance after repeated warnings from veteran members. He was repeatedly warned by veteran users not to consecutively post, but rather edit the previous post (curious how low his 1k posts would be if the consecutive posts were dropped to one). Some could play devil's advocate and think his "Naughty Albatross" was coincidental so I have to let that one slide. Lying about experience just to deceive people into thinking he is knowledgeable also doesn't help his case any. Even him wanting to get his post count back makes it seem he is more interested in keeping the facade of experience up instead of learning to get that experienced (which even then I have to wonder about how fake his claims are as some of his code shows, to me, that he has experience and may be fabricating the "beginner" angle to better troll the site).

As for the argument that the admin should warn you before shutting your account. No, a site admin can do whatever they please specially if they view you as a distraction from the purpose of the site's stated goals.
So, how does one report a poster directly to the admin, apart from using the "Report" button on individual posts?
To report a specific post, click on the report button on that post, and justify your action by providing a cogent reason.
To gripe about the general conduct of an individual, send a PM to the admin stating the grounds for your perceived grievance.

I was under the belief that the distinction between these two would be obvious, even to the meanest intellect.
Pages: 123