Picking a topic for a Thesis/Project

Hi all,

I'm a Software Engineering masters student in my second year. First year was pre-req's and some grad classes. I will be starting the first semester of my thesis. The next following weeks, I will be meeting with various professors to see if I can find a good fit as my advisor (and/or committee).

To be honest, I'm a little nervous/stressed about it, because I'm working almost full time, along with taking my classes. I probably should have told my work that I would need some time off to get this thing (primarily the thesis/advisor aspect of it) settled.

Regardless of that, I'm trying to think of ideas for my thesis. I work for a company that does cloud backup for businesses and regular users (I do level II Help Desk), so I'm thinking maybe something in the area of cloud backup/storage, or cloud computing. I also did a chat application using Node, Socket, MySQL, etc. last semester in one of my classes, and web applications fascinate me, as well.

I'd appreciate if anyone who has gone through this has any tips.
The Professors probably have a list of project ideas that they would be happy to supervise & I would imagine that they will post these on their personal pages on the departmental website. If you have a look at these for each Professor, then you'll get an idea of what their interests are - if you have your own ideas then I imagine that the Professors would love to hear it (as long as it's related to their area of interest), as they get bored of seeing students doing the same things over & over again.
Do you have the option to do a Thesis or a project? Sometimes Universities offer each as a separate plans, the first being based on your research, and the second an engineering project. If the Thesis has to be based on research, you usually need to make an original contribution, so it can be very difficult for a student to find an appropriate problem alone. The professors would have a better idea what has already been done, what the community is interested in at the moment, and where the remaining challenges are. Maybe start doing some google scholar searching for cloud storage or computing papers?
I was thinking about public vs private cloud. I could do calculations on when it is beneficial to move to a private cloud for medium or large size businesses. I've also been thinking about big data/data mining, as well as machine learning/AI. With that said, I have a little more experience with the first topic (because of my job), and have not yet taken any courses in AI/machine learning or data mining/big data.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.