Direction

I was curious if any of you experienced people you, have any tips for someone looking for a direction in coding. I feel stuck and I don't really understand what I should do to further
myself in programming. Any ideas?
Please describe where you are now. What do you know? What do you want to learn? What are your goals?
I'm an undergrad Computer Science student, and I've only used C++ and have only used it for about a year and half. So I don't have a lot of experience but I'm pretty sure I have a solid foundation of the language, or at least I hope so. My long-term future goal is to go into research for advanced AI and such, but that's probably a decade away at this point lol. I really want to learn and grow in my programming knowledge in general, and with more advanced C++ things. I just don't know how
You can also learn a lot by reading the well-written code of others. See if you can get other students to show you their solutions to programming assignments after then assignments are handed in. Better yet, encourage the professor to distribute the best solutions.

Learn another language, or take a class that surveys several languages. Also consider some assembly language so you understand how a computer works at the low level.
You'll also do well to peruse the forums and observe solutions presented by the more advanced group of forum members. Try to understand the solution, and if you have trouble just ask.

I don't recommend PMing here unless you're positive you will receive positive and constructive instruction. An open forum is, in my opinion, far better for public learning than a private message thread as it is open to input from various sources, some of which may be far more developed than the person you are messaging.

To give some backing to what dhayden said, I found my understanding of what really goes on improved a lot after taking a course on computer architecture, and then studying some about compilers. The more you understand about what's going on underneath the better.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.