we need to stop posting your homework/classwork

Pages: 1234
I wouldn't say it is confidence, more like arrogance.
It hurts their feelings. You guys hurt mine too.

Welcome to the real world. A person would never be challenged to change their views if everyone worried about their feelings because then they would never be honest or blunt with them.

cire and I don't like each other because we have different personalities and views, but it would be absolutely childish for us to tell each other we are wrong just because we don't like each other. The same goes for articles you don't like.

Now just telling someone they are wrong with no other word makes you look like you are just being a childish ass toward them. The proper way to express your view of someone being wrong would be to say, "cire, I disagree with you on <insert topic> because...." and then go into a list of reasons why you don't agree or even quote whatever it is he said that you don't agree with to explain why you don't. This opens up discussion for cire (or the person you disagree with) to elaborate or give more explanation to you on his point or for the person to consider your arguments to see if they misspoke.

Not wanting people to disagree with you is encasing yourself in an echo chamber where everyone agrees with you. This will never challenge your view and nurture a false positive view of the world.
See people, maybe I am wrong or something to you but I'm just putting this out there for others to read. Maybe they agree with me, maybe not. You never know. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you have to always convince people (me) that I am wrong.

Two things:
1) This will be pushed off the main page and forgotten in a matter of days or weeks.
2) Doesn't matter who agrees as this site is run by one person and I've talked to him personally a few years back and he sees no reason to be that aggressive toward people coming here just for answers. Even he stated it is up to the users answering to decide if they want to just give the solution or try to coach the person into finding the solution themselves. I doubt his view has changed since then.

it is up to the users answering to decide if they want to just give the solution or try to coach the person into finding the solution themselves

Users already know which one they will do so all this thread does is try to create an echo chamber for you to find people that agree with you. This is further proven by the fact that you told people not to reply if they disagreed with your point.
If your fee-fees are hurt because someone disagrees with you politely, I recommend that you stay off the Internet until you grow thicker skin.
I don't know what sort of communities you normally frequent if you think that's rude.

By the way, cire is not disagreeing with you there, he's explaining why he thinks it's better to express one's disagreement.

EDIT: FYI, the report function is not there so you can mark every post you don't like.
Last edited on
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
WheatFieldOnFire wrote:
How is ... polite?
It's a lot more polite than what I first thought when I read your post*. Your idea of polite will be vastly different to others idea of polite. There is a vast range of people here, some fully of piss and vinegar, some sarcasm, etc. So unless some is attacking you personally, chill.

My experience here, this type of thread never goes the way you intended it to.

There's nothing much I can say about why banning people for asking for solutions is a bad idea that hasn't already been said here. I'm against members handing out solutions because it does a disservice to people who reflexively take the easy way out of coursework, but indeed, they're ultimately the only ones who really pay the price for their own laziness (and they do generally pay unless programming is not a part of their degree, in which case they can be cut some small amount of slack).

WheatFieldOnFire, this is a programming community. Good programming communities tend to assume that their participants are okay with constructive criticism and debate. This assumption is more than reasonable to make, as the ability to have your ideas and work dissected and judged (sometimes harshly) is crucial for a good programmer. I accept you may not have known this before coming here. Now you do. If you are not alright with criticism or disagreements, then programming communities are not for you.

EDIT: Confused WheatFieldOnFire with MultiMedia. I blame the late nights.

-Albatross
Last edited on
There was originally a paragraph at the edit accusing you of being antagonistic in a way that you weren't. EDIT: Specifically, I accidentally attributed MultiMedia's comments about Uk Marine to you.

I mean everything I say in the paragraph addressed to you.

-Albatross
Last edited on
In my case, I'm taking a class where the professor doesn't reply for days if not weeks at a time through email. I'm taking the class online, I don't really know where else I can seek help.

I asked about a homework assignment at one point, and I gave my opinion and showed what I had and then asked for help. It was really just simple questions, just the wording was a little odd and I asked for clarification.

What I don't think that people should do though, is post a question without showing that they have attempted to try and solve it on their own. Allowing yourself to be spoon fed answers, especially without understanding how the person came to that answer is the worst thing you can do to yourself when learning something. Sure you can move on from whatever assignment you had, but in the long run you're only hurting yourself.
Last edited on
I think you should be banned soon, WheatFieldOnFire. . .
That is the only and the only thing I am trying to say.

P.S : I am actually a kid just like you.
Last edited on
See that is what I am trying to say and people started to fight me.

Um, no. Everyone (or almost everyone) agrees that people shouldn't do that. We just don't agree with your histrionic and over-the-top response to people who do it.

Please don't dishonestly misrepresent what other people have written.
Last edited on
No I was trying to list ideas I think was best and they were disagreeing hard, which was what I meant. They did fight me.

A person either agrees or disagrees. The is no level to how they do so. That shows you are taking it as personal attack. Fact is that I don't care what you think is best. If I see a question and I feel like putting a solution then I will. If I see the question and don't want to put the solution, then I won't. The site administrator doesn't stress over it and neither do we. You are making something out of nothing. Plain and simple.
The emphasis was added by you, it was not in the original posts. That perfectly exemplifies how you're conflating your interpretation of what other people say with what they actually say.
There's nothing offensive about those questions. Do you know what an actual offense is? For example,
No one wrote:
Who are you to decide what's best for other people, you snot-nosed little brat? GTFO and come back after your balls drop.
No one here has said anything even remotely resembling that. You're the one taking offense from simply having your opinions challenged.

Even if you've said you don't want to continue the discussion, no one is required not to continue posting in disagreement. For that matter, nor are you required to continue reading the replies and replying back.
WheatFieldOnFire wrote:
Really? its like on the top of the 3rd page dude are you pretending you can't see?

Not sure I should get into this but, WheatFieldOnFire now you are misunderstanding what helios said in his reply also.

Note what he said
helios wrote:
The emphasis was added by you, it was not in the original posts.
the word "emphasis" is referring to your quote and how you italicized "you" which completely changes the meaning behind the sentence. He does not mean that cire never wrote those sentences because he obviously did, he means that he never added those italics which do actually alter the meaning of the sentences.

WheatFieldOnFire wrote:
"who are you to decide what is best for people"
and
cire wrote:
Who are you to decide what the best way to help someone is?

WheatFieldOnFire wrote:
"How do you know if you like something"
.and
cire wrote:
How do you figure out if you like something?

Notice how the italicized versions (In addition to the different way the sentence is phrased change the meanings in subtle ways).

That is what he means by how you are conflating your interpretation of what cire wrote with what was actually written. Or in other words you are adding some ulterior meaning to the text which isn't there.

Anyways maybe lighten up a bit mate and stop overreacting. This whole thread was pretty dang civil in that people were merely posting their own opinions on what you suggested. It only turned into this whole fiesta when you started to view anyone in disagreement with your suggestion as being hateful against you.
Last edited on
You have continually misinterpreted what people have said. Continually overreacted. You also don't gain respect by having the equivalent of a temper tantrum.
Great job proving my point for me. I couldn't have done it better.

Since you insist on remaining on the Net despite your clear inability to deal with even the slightest of confrontation, I'll give you a tip: The next time someone on the Internet tells you something that makes you want to splurge ire all over your keyboard, take a break, maybe go wash your face, wait 30-60 minutes, then go back and try to reply in a civil manner. That way you won't make a ridicule out of yourself.
Last edited on
No, no, no. The reason you were told that is not because you stated your opinion about a specific action, but because you said anyone who performed said action should be banned, on the grounds that it's for the best of those people.
I didn't say we should ban people that ask for help. I said we should ban people that asks for the answer
Even though it might be "extreme", but the way we can help them is to ban them from asking for the ANSWER.
I'm not saying we should ban the people who helps these people. the helpers are innocent, im talking about the people that asks for the [/b]answer[/b]

So now you've shown that you don't even understand the reason people are disagreeing with you. Spoiler: it's because you'd like your own standard of behavior to be imposed as a policy in this forum.
This whole "I'm a kid, I deserve special treatment" schtick is getting rather tired. You are a person. Everyone participating in this thread is a person. Being young does not make you special.

If you disagree, you got a better idea?list it here then.

I think the consensus in this thread has been that not doing anything different is a better idea than the one you presented.

If you disagree, you got a better idea?list it here then.

Not doing anything differently.

I don't want all this to be a fight and stuff, its just a place where we share ideas.

Unless they happen to oppose your own, in which case you're a kid being abused.
Obvious troll is obvious. I don't understand why a thread like this got so much attention, lmao.
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
The only reason why this thread is getting so much attention is someone can't see past their own biases and demand to impose their views on others.
The OP has no means to enforce anything. Just don't respond and let it die. Then again, I'm doing the exact same thing, I guess.
Last edited on
Pages: 1234