What do you do in your free time?

I like reading, watching movies and anime (Japanese cartoons), I like video games a lot, and of course spending time with my friends and with my girlfriend :)
What about you?
I enjoy anime (Japanese animation) as well as manga (Japanese graphic novels), music, movies, video games, and programming.
Debug the ol' hard drive.
I don't get why anime is so popular. Why do people find watching animated school girls with big eyes so fascinating and sexy? I think its' creepy and borderline pedo.
Learning a programming language. Also, programming whenever I get an idea for a program. Testing out my ideas when I learn something new (features, etc.) about a programming language. Recently, I made a word unscrambler that shows all possible words from the letters inputted (including words with less characters than originally inputted).
Though, I made it in a rush (too excited) so not the best design.

NOTE:
1. Change std::system("clear") according to OS.
2. Dictionary file used: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwG7XPYoWEMXTG1iX01Sb0hjeVk/view?usp=drivesdk
3. If you type a 1, 2, 3 with the word (at the end), 1 orders it
alphabetically, 2 scrambles it randomly, 3 gives back
original sequence of letters.

Code:

#include <iostream>
#include <vector>
#include <string>
#include <fstream>
#include <algorithm>
#include <cstdlib>
int main()
{
    std::ifstream dictionary;
    dictionary.open("dictionary.dic");
    std::vector<std::string> words;
    {
        std::string temp;
        while (dictionary >> temp)
            words.push_back(temp);
    }
    dictionary.close();
    while (true)
    {
        std::cout << "Word: " << std::flush;
        std::string input;
        std::cin >> input;
        std::cin.ignore();
        std::string word = input;
        char opt = word.back();
        if (word.length() >= 2 && 
        (opt == '1' || opt == '2' || opt == '3'))
        {
            std::system("clear");
            word.pop_back();
            input.pop_back();
          re_permute:
            std::cout << "Word: " << std::flush;
            if (opt == '1')
                std::sort(word.begin(), word.end());
            else if (opt == '2')
                std::random_shuffle(word.begin(),
                                    word.end());
            else
                word = input;
            std::cout << word;
            {
                char temp;
                std::cin.get(temp);
                if (temp == '1' || temp == '2' ||
                    temp == '3')
                {
                    std::cin.ignore();
                    opt = temp;
                    goto re_permute;
                }
            }
        }
        std::cout << "\n\n";
        bool exists = false;
        std::vector<std::vector<std::string>> permutations
        (word.length());
        for (const std::string &s : words)
        {
            bool is_permutation = s.length() <= word.length()
            && s.length() > 2;
            if (is_permutation)
                for (char c : s)
                    if (std::count(s.begin(), s.end(), c) >
                    std::count(word.begin(), word.end(), c))
                    {
                        is_permutation = false;
                        break;
                    }
            if (is_permutation)
            {
                exists = true;
                permutations[word.length() -
                s.length()].push_back(s + "\n");
            }
        }
        if (exists)
            for (std::vector<std::string> &vec :
            permutations)
            {
                std::sort(vec.begin(), vec.end());
                if (!vec.empty())
                    vec.push_back("\n");
                for (const std::string &s : vec)
                    std::cout << s;
            }
        else
            std::cout << "No words found.\n";
        std::cin.get();
    }
    return 0;
}
Last edited on
I don't get why anime is so popular. Why do people find watching animated school girls with big eyes so fascinating and sexy? I think its' creepy and borderline pedo.

You realize there is more to anime than Sailor Moon right?

For example, my favorite franchises are DragonBall and Mobile Suit Gundam. Just like video games, anime and manga have a huge range of choice, but it sounds like you are casting judgement on it based on a fraction of anime. Some other great anime I like are Trigun, Vampire Hunter D, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Cowboy Bebop just to name a few.

Sure, there are some adult and questionable anime like Urotsukidoji, Tentacles and Witches, Angel Blade, or even Bible Black.

Akira is credited for sparking interest in anime in the US. I rather enjoyed Genesis Survivor Gaiarth (3 45 minute videos), but sadly there appears to be no way of watching it as there was never a DVD release. Ninja Scroll, Ronin Warriors, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind...Studio Ghibli has a long list of successful anime; Castle in the Sky, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke ... and that is just a small sample of the anime they have done.

I also grew up on American cartoons, G.I. Joe, Transformers Generation 1, Brave Star, Thundercats, Care Bears, My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, Alf (yes I also saw the live action series that spawned the cartoon), M.A.S.K., He-Man, The Centurions, etc.

For me, the reason anime is so popular is because they are normally darker and deal with more mature topics than what most cartoons do. Look at the changes done for the American variant of Speed Racer. The anime had more crashes, dealt with death, and the relationships were more complex than the American version. In American cartoons, death is either not dealt with or (in case of South Park's Kenny character) only episodic; the person would die and miraculously be back next episode. Only a few cartoons show death, instead it seems to be more common place to imply death to do a twist and make the person changed to evil either by magic, parasite, or mind control giving the hero of the cartoon motivation to beat the villain and then motivation to save their mentor or friend while beating the villain.

American cartoons are aimed primarily at children. Anime and manga are widely ranged. In the US some view cartoons, video games, and comics as for children only. The last adult aimed cartoon I remember seeing was Heavy Metal 2000 released in 2000. In Japan, manga, anime, and games are part of their lives and are written for children while some are written for adults.
Last edited on
@BHX
I don't watch anime and I never will, but your post made sense and shed some light onto how I see anime. It makes more sense now.
closed account (1v5E3TCk)
I watch series, movies and read some stuff. I don't think if this topic is something we can talk about much but I put this here.
Reading, sports and build my side project about password recover. It is great of fun.

My Project: http://www.uukeys.com/iphone-keeps-asking-apple-id-password.html
Last edited on
@orangepeel367
I could bring you this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udDIkl6z8X0 as an example of how narrow your understanding of anime is (or was, at the time of your first reply) or even this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed1xwAtF728 , the story of a young mother of 2 that after her husband suddenly pass away, has to muster the strenght to raise the two kids alone...so...there is a lot more to anime than you think.
Last edited on
Ops, yesterday I kind forgot to say what do I do in my free time, so I'll add this now :P

I too watch anime (as you would have guessed from my previous reply),movies and tv series, follow 4 mangas, study japanese as hobby since 3-4 years because...why not? And like playing,mostly jrpg and fantasy stuff in general I guess, but not limited to that. I used to do 3d art too -> https://www.artstation.com/artist/marcusaseth but I don't touch that from years now, even though I believe I will fall back into that too eventually, and the more recent hobby is studying c++ :)
Actually I am unenployed, so all my time is free time... xD
Well, if you need tips about how to self teach yourself japanese, feel free to ask me ;)
Last edited on
I guess, but not limited to that. I used to do 3d art too -> https://www.artstation.com/artist/marcusaseth but I don't touch that from years now, even though I believe I will fall back into that too eventually, and the more recent hobby is studying c++ :)

Why not combine the two? That's what I do.
Why not combine the two? That's what I do.

You do it? How exactly?!
Last edited on
I program 3D stuff, like games, and use my models as assets.
Last edited on
@Golden Lizard: I'm still quite far from that xD
Mixing both now would mean for me to neglect one (or more),since 3d, japanese study, c++ and getting back on track with my math are all huge topics :P
Not to mentiont that if I go back to 3d, then I end up doing 2D as well because modeling something without a concept usually end ups in a huge waste of time iterating trough all the possibilities (at least for me)...a bit like programming stuff without designing the structure of the software you are building first I would guess (though never did that so far, so can't tell for sure if is like the same thing).
But eventually I'll complete some of these, and have built enough confidence in the programming side to be able to do what you do, looking forward to it! :)
Last edited on
@Marcus Aseth
I want to learn Japanese too and I like watching anime. The more we study together the merrier.

Can I send you a PM?
I like to prank people, one example, after Christmas you can take your tree and depending on how tall it is put it in a body bag, make the tree inside the bag look more like a body. Next you want to get a black hoodie and walk somewhere where people can see you (local park, or hiking spot) act suspicious and look around a lot, then bury it. If your a good actor maybe hit it with a shovel, so it looks like the "person" will stop resisting. Final step is to escape. Another option could try and get people to help you bury this bag.

Like pizza? Well what about the people that deliver it? Get a couple of your friends and pretend to be a cult, invite the pizza guy inside and check his reaction out.

Have fun and prank well.
During my time I program, game, watch anime and learn languages (Japanese and Spanish).
I think about inspiration for my programs, watching dem animes, reading mangas, coding in pascal (lazarus) and C++ (code::blocks)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.