• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Why is this forum plagued by people requ

Why is this forum plagued by people requesting homeworks?

Title is self-explanatory.
closed account (1v5E3TCk)
Because people are lazy, and most of them apply for computer science or IT because they can just apply for it. hey don't know what is it before they apply. Also it is most suitable website for that purpose because Stackoverflow is more strict about their rules on this.
Because people are lazy, and most of them apply for computer science or IT because they can just apply for it. hey don't know what is it before they apply.

That is an assumption as there are degrees that require programming courses that have nothing to do with programming. I've seen some business majors complain because they are required to take programming courses when they aren't going for programming.
Also it is most suitable website for that purpose because Stackoverflow is more strict about their rules on this.

SO is a terrible example because they are so strict that if you ask a question that is remotely similar to another they lock yours and mark it as a duplicate. If you don't give enough information for you problem they will also lock it as not contributing anything.

Same could be asked about the people that complain about those requests while admitting they ignore them or don't reply to them.
That is an assumption as there are degrees that require programming courses that have nothing to do with programming.

They should check the curriculum of the degree they are applying for then. Also programming is not teached to make them people be programmers. Why do they teach English to us? Not because they want us all to be English teachers or else. Programming is a good skill that can come in handy in a anytime and gives you a nice ability of problem solving. More than everyone business majors need to be able to solve problems I think.

P.S. That problems are not meant to be solved with programming but programming gives you a different point of view.
Last edited on
> Because people are lazy (,,,)
>> That is an assumption
well, yeah, ¿what did you expect?

> I've seen some business majors complain (...)
ah, the outsourcing class

> SO is a terrible example because (...)
SO is a terrific example. People avoid SO because of the reason you've listed and come here.

> Same could be asked about the people that complain about those requests (...)
create your own thread if you want, don't disrupt this one
> Stackoverflow is more strict about their rules on this.

>> SO is a terrible example because ...

>>> SO is a terrific example ...

Apples and oranges.

stackoverflow.com is designed to be a searchable programming question and answer archive; allowing replicated / almost identical questions, or vague / ambiguous questions would greatly diminish the value of that site.

This is primarily a forum, where programmers (mainly beginners) come to get short-term or immediate help with specific programming tasks.

cppreference.com is an online C++ reference, primarily for experienced C++ programmers.

The three are very different; each one is a valuable C++ resource in its own right.
Let's kill each other because of the beginners. There is no need to be that harsh. We are a bunch of people over here.
Not beginners, but lazy students that don't even try to resolve their homework and just go straight posting their assignments here and expect others to do it for them. Don't get me wrong, I try to help beginners (though I wouldn't call myself an expert) whenever I can. But there is a difference between someone that wants to learn and someone that is just too lazy to do it.
Like @senhor said, it's probably they have no where to go... As a person who only programs for fun, I rarely, if ever, post any questions on SO. It's only for "professionals" and you only go there if you have a good question. I think that it's nice to have beginners here at this forum; this way everyone can contribute, even the ones with less knowledge. But not the lazy people who just post their assignments and expect others to do it for them, especially the ones who doesn't even post any code to show that they have at least worked on it. Maybe we should have some kind of flagging for them? I don't want this site to become like SO though...
Not everything is a homework post. This is usually how I approach this problem though. If they have source code and point out the error, I correct it and explain to them why. If they post no source code, I just tell them to post source code or no help.
If there is no source code I just try to explain the logic of solution instead of giving the source. Because not all people that don't share source are lazy. Some of them can't figure out a solution.
Not beginners, but lazy students

There is the problem with these kind of threads. Poor wording makes them seem like attacks on all beginners, not just lazy students seeking easy outs.

Look at the "self-explanatory" title:

That question makes it look like we hate people seeking help for college homework.

The last thread we had like this resulted in someone wanting beginners asking for solutions to be banned and members giving the solutions banned, which are extremes for such a minor problem.

The threads before this one had users very clearly stating that when beginners asked for solutions they either didn't read the thread or didn't reply to them. That makes threads like these appear as nothing more than trying to make waves to disrupt the calm of the community.
Last edited on
This forum is not alone, every forum gets students asking for solutions to their homework. hackforums, daniweb, codeproject, r/cpp_questions, quora, you name it - they got them. It's a fact of life.

(btw, quora community had far too much fun with this one where the student forgot to say what programming language they needed the answer in: https://www.quora.com/Homework-Question-How-do-I-write-a-program-that-produces-the-following-output-1 - my solution is the one using PostScript)

Contrary to the apparent popular opinion, Stackoverflow (which is not a forum) actually permits homework questions. For a while they had a [homework] tag and the general guidance was to post leading answers, rather than complete ones to the questions so tagged. I think I remember complete answers getting downvoted and deleted. The tag was eliminated in 2012 because the community decided that for their purpose (building a searchable Q&A database), there is no distinction between a homework question and any other programming question. Of course that also means the questions have to pass the same criteria as any other question, which a typical lazy student carpet-bombing online forums won't bother reading.

If anything, what should be discussed is how to answer homework questions in the way that is best aligned with this forum's goals.
Last edited on
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
Cubbi wrote:
If anything, what should be discussed is how to answer homework questions in the way that is best aligned with this forum's goals.
...that's far too sensible we must vilify and denigrate people until they get the hint and go elsewhere.

Sarcasm is best taken in small doses while avoiding alcohol.
btw, quora community had far too much fun with this one where the student forgot to say what programming language they needed the answer in: https://www.quora.com/Homework-Question-How-do-I-write-a-program-that-produces-the-following-output-1 - my solution is the one using PostScript

I went to get a laugh and instead got concerned. For it to be funny to me, I have to assume the tag that stated C Programming Language was added after the fact. Otherwise it concerns me as it implies those answering didn't read the tags.

Perfectly sensible. Those giving answers will ignore that, but still perfectly sensible.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.