What happened to the jokes?

Pages: 123
Not really a joke, but something I noticed yesterday that made me laugh:

Yesterday, while breaking from programming, I was playing "Blue Sky" on guitar by the Allman Bros., when I realized: the song was written in the key of C#, which, in musical terms, is C plus one semitone. Therefore, the song "Blue Sky" was written in C++! I nominate the Allman Bros. as the best band ever now. Period. :-P
@DeadH34d,
On a slightly-related note, Eric Allman worked on BSD UNIX, Sendmail and also has an indentation style ("Allman style", aka "ANSI style") named after him. Strange coincidence, eh?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Allman

Oh and also, C# is a programming language in it's own right.
Last edited on
Oh and also, C# is a programming language in it's own right.

Yeah I thought it was weird that he made the connection to C++ before C#.

C# was even named after the musical term (where else is the # symbol pronounced "sharp")
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I have always known # as hash, so when I first saw C# I thought that C hash was a strange name for a new language. (I still think of it that way sometimes).

If it was C# I might have read it as C sharp, but I guess type setters (or marketing men) are getting lazy.
I saw an article before saying that C# is named after C++ which is suppose to be C++++. And then they arrange the four + and come up with C# ( C Sharp )
But then, C increased is C++ or C# and C++# or C#++ or C++++ would be just D. Which is the language from Walter Bright.

What a strange world we live in..

Ciao, Imi.
Why would you give it a D? When we attend classes we all want A+
C++++
Don't be silly. C++ isn't an l-value.
haha, that was funny.
C++++
Don't be silly. C++ isn't an l-value.

Muahahaha. I like this one! :-D
@chrisname and disch
Yeah, I know C# is it's own language, but I liked the C++ reference better. lol
I did NOT know that the language was named after the musical note(or Eric Allman for that matter). Any particular reason it is?
Eric Allman has no relation to C#; but I thought it was funny because you said the band was the "Allman brothers".
Three statisticians go to the nearby forest for rabbit hunting. They are lucky to locate one almost immediately. The first one shoots but the bullet lands about a meter to the right of the rabbit. The rabbit of course runs away terrified. After about ten minutes they find him again. The second one shoots but the bullet lands about a meter to the left of the rabbit. And the third one says: "Ok guys, we got him, let's go home!" :D
Last edited on
Lol
LOL! http://freeworld.thc.org/root/phun/unmaintain.html
Insist on carrying outright orthogonal information in your Hungarian warts. Consider this real world example "a_crszkvc30LastNameCol". It took a team of maintenance engineers nearly 3 days to figure out that this whopper variable name described a const, reference, function argument that was holding information from a database column of type Varchar[30] named "LastName" which was part of the table's primary key. When properly combined with the principle that "all variables should be public" this technique has the power to render thousands of lines of source code obsolete instantly!

Use to your advantage the principle that the human brain can only hold 7 pieces of information concurrently. For example code written to the above standard has the following properties:

* a single assignment statement carries 14 pieces of type and name information.
* a single function call that passes three parameters and assigns a result carries 29 pieces of type and name information.
* Seek to improve this excellent, but far too concise, standard. Impress management and coworkers by recommending a 5 letter day of the week prefix to help isolate code written on 'Monam' and 'FriPM'.
* It is easy to overwhelm the short term memory with even a moderately complex nesting structure, especially when the maintenance programmer can't see the start and end of each block on screen simultaneously.
Last edited on
Awesome link! :-)
Have you seen this? I really wanted to share this and I couldn't find a more fitting place to post it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=a_zK2apRHI4&feature=related
Tsk tsk tsk. What are we doing to our children?

Similar link (LANGUAGE WARNING):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcNvoIOGihI

-Albatross
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 123