Bluray Linux

I finally had the bright idea of plugging a mouse into my older (2-3 years) sony bluray device. It didn't like that. But next I tried keyboard, and it didn't complain. When I restarted the device the keyboard became usable.

So I then decide to explore, and low and behold, it runs on a Linux kernel and appears to have gcc and even Qt components installed. The license is listed as mixed lgpl and gpl.

So, has anyone hacked their bluray yet? I'm curious if its possible to bring up a command line, or input a text file to be compiled...

EDIT: After some searching around, the short answer appears to be "No", no explanation why not, no work in the future. Just utter lack of interest. It just feels like a missed opportunity for the developer community. (It's a computer with built-in wifi internet, plays blueRay, and there is little competition!)

Long answer: (Technically the device has opera as an internet browser and support for html5, but there are no ways that I could find to install personal software. This device appears too old to access the opera tv app store, even though I updated the device drivers today.)

https://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-Ray-Netflix-Online-Video/Help-How-do-I-add-apps-to-Blu-ray-DVD-player/td-p/4016
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.