future advice

closed account (1vf9z8AR)
Ok people i am still in school(last year) and i am planning on going to gaming industry after college but the thing is i am not sure i am getting a top tier college in my country and i am avoiding foreign universities for graduate courses(will surely consider them for post graduation).

I have found many experienced people saying that if you want to stick to this industry you have to make it to the other side of the door and many game developers eventually end up taking other jobs which i dont want to be the case with me.

Apart from my main job as a game developer for a already estblished company i would prefer to do some other smaller projects too.

Does anyone here think its possible for me to excel in my jobs even if i am not a academic topper? And also do you think my plan as mentioned above is worth pursuing?

PS- there are only 3 fields i can study in right now that is gaming , big data, and animation. have to choose one.
> Does anyone here think its possible for me to excel in my jobs even if i am not a academic topper?

Yes. I've not observed any strong correlation between excellence as a programmer and a prior history of having been at the absolute top of the class in an academic set up.

> there are only 3 fields i can study in right now that is gaming , big data, and animation. have to choose one.

Big data in conjunction with data analytics/data science is a promising field right now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_analysis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_science
closed account (1vf9z8AR)
which field do you think will give the most money over a lifetime and is not so labour intensive that i am not able to pursue other projects too?
I think data scientist is pretty cool but maybe it would be taken over by AIs.Please remember that i am very inexperienced and may sound dumb.
For me it isn't a matter of how much money that I make, it is more about the fulfillment I get from the job I am at. I work as a software engineer and get to develop products that change and save peoples lives. For me, that and providing for my family are more important than the amount of money that I make.

Another thing I will point out is whatever field you decide to go into, you can not expect to make a lot of money without hard work. Most jobs you will have periods where you have a large amount of work to do and lulls where there is less to do. During the lulls you are more able to work on your side projects.

In short, my opinion is to choose something that gives you fulfillment in life and whatever you choose work hard to provide value.
> which field do you think will give the most money over a lifetime ...

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. - Ecclesiastes 9:11 (KJV)

> I think data scientist is pretty cool but maybe it would be taken over by AIs

From what I have seen, most of all this current talk about machine learning is just a lot of hot air. Data science is the fancy name for what we used to call statistical inference.
Last edited on
Are there even any real, practical applications for ML besides tailored recommendations and targeted advertising? Anything that actually exists and works, and isn't just a fever dream in a blog post somewhere?
helios wrote:
Are there even any real, practical applications for ML besides tailored recommendations and targeted advertising

In the investment bank I work at, as well as in many other finance institutions, ML has a solid foothold that's only been growing (granted, it was here before it was called ML)
helios wrote:
Are there even any real, practical applications for ML besides tailored recommendations and targeted advertising

Some medical industries are investing in ML to see if it can help improve diagnostics.
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/604271/deep-learning-is-a-black-box-but-health-care-wont-mind/
http://www.diagnosticimaging.com/pacs-and-informatics/how-radiologists-are-using-machine-learning

I know even less about the following, but it has been mentioned for military-related things like detecting missiles, or otherwise finding targets (that I assume a human would confirm, if there's time).
Last edited on
Cubbi: Alright, fair enough. I don't know much about financial applications.

Ganado: I'd say that's firmly in the "pipe dream" category.
Well then I'm not exactly sure what you mean by pipe dream, since it already exists on smaller scales. The medical diagnostics I mean, not the missiles example. I agree the latter is mostly pipe dream, and it's certainly not going to happen all at once.
But it doesn't exist yet. There's active research on the topic that shows that it's doable, yes, but no actual deployments exist anywhere. Especially the stuff from the first link, which is from a paper published in April.
Compare that with both of my examples, which are everywhere on the web.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.