This site is slow

Pages: 12
Been hanging around lately and noticed that this site ( cplusplus.com ) is super slow. I often get "site took too long to respond". Can an admin look into this?

Related: I also found http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/189597/ , but it's archived. I can ping just fine, so at least it's not hosted in Antarctica.

Yea, I often find this site takes a while to load. All other sites will load as soon as I click - internet speed isn't the problem. Either this site is hosted far away or server can't handle high trafficking. Never had a "site took too long to respond" message before, for this site anyway.
YMMV regarding the diagnostics from that post. For me, the majority of the time is spent not waiting on ad scripts, but waiting for the server to respond with the main content HTML. The main.js document also takes a good 5 seconds to load, and that's rather frustrating because it practically never changes.
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
Yet at this particular moment, 1PM PDT, the site is loading quite fast for me.

Previewing a message is fast also.

Sometimes pages loads slow, sometimes they loads fast.

For free I can put up with the occasional slow-downs and hiccups.
Yep, It depends quite a bit on the time.
Ping isn't going to tell you very much because of the difference between what ISP's call "burstable" and "dedicated" bandwidth. Individual pings are small enough that you don't need much bandwidth at all to call and respond. Moving larger chunks of meaningful data OTH is a different story.
If these pages are "loading slow", bandwidth isn't the problem. They aren't even image heavy - bandwidth wouldn't have been the problem 12 years ago!

Its almost certainly the scripting and the machine its being hosted on, lagging for whatever the reason may be. There's no way to tell.

Chances are the site is't written in C.
I'm quite certain the site is written in CGI scripts (C++).
Yeah, I doubt the choice of language is the important factor, it's the algorithms themselves that are probably doing extra work.

Site is pretty slow for me sometimes, too.
The site is the same, whether it loads slow or not.

The one thing that can change, making the site load slow or fast, is the server the site is hosted on and its connection to the internet.

Since this is not a subscription only site, having cplusplus up and running should be more than enough no matter how slow or fast. I can put up with the occasional slow-downs and hiccups.
I'm quite certain the site is written in CGI scripts (C++).

It is definitely :-)
And yes, I also realise it's very slow sometimes. Always though it's my internet connection's fault, but it does not seem to be.
Judging from what I've read, it could be from the server load - does this site get a lot of traffic?
Probably.
Also this site seems (and probably is) pretty old, so it wont be the fastest site :/
On the contrary, modern sites tend to run slow as molasses because of all the scripting BS. The problem here is not the age of the site, but the amount of traffic it receives. I think twicker runs it on his own money and the money he receives from ads.
does this site get a lot of traffic?

Depends on what one defines as "a lot of traffic."

For a specialty site, C++ programming is not exactly mainstream, there are times of considerable load for the server/internet capacity being paid for.
I think you're underestimating the traffic it can get. Consider that if you Google some part of the library the first result will be a coin toss between this and cppreference.com.
Last edited on
I think you're underestimating the traffic it can get.

You are likely overestimating the over-all ranking this site has.

For what cplusplus is and does, it has a largish amount of traffic. It just isn't that popular of a site that caters to non-programming users. Programming is not what most people look for on the internet.

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/cplusplus.com

Globally there are 2,337 sites that see more traffic than cplusplys, 1,408 in the US.

I suspect the server that hosts cplusplus is not up to handling the varying load of traffic the site has.

I don't know because I am not paying the bills.
Ranking is by itself a meaningless number, it just tells you how popular a site is compared to other sites, not the absolute amount of traffic it gets.
But just for fun let's compare that with other programming/IT communities:
* SO: 64th
* Github: 63rd
* DaniWeb: 12,000th
* HN: 1,600th
* Bitbucket: 900th
* Ubuntu: 1,700th
* Debian: 5,700th
* Slashdot: 6,300th
Popular sites that see a lot of traffic that don't experience severe and chronic slowdown have server setups designed to handle the load.

The server setup handling cplusplus clearly is not designed to handle the traffic during peak traffic times.

I said that before, I'll keep saying it.

I have never underestimated the traffic, despite you, helios, thinking otherwise.

cplusplus gets considerable traffic, for the type of site it is.

I'm done.

Ciao.
Pages: 12