Net data question

closed account (1vf9z8AR)
Ok i found written on many sites that games consume very less data of like 40mb per hour and movies consume data of around 1gb per hour but in my case its the opposite.When i play games its like 600 mb per hour and when i used youtube for like 1.5 hours(480p) its only 300 mb .

Are you referring to bandwidth usage over time?

A game can consume literally any amount of bandwidth, from zero to so much that your ISP is not able to keep up. It all depends on what kind of game it is, whether it displays ads, etc.
Video is almost exactly the same, but to a lesser extent. A completely black video with no sound can be compressed to practically nothing regardless of length, while a video with lots of motion will typically compress to greater sizes. Even the exact same video can compress to different data rates depending on the codec and the settings. In some cases I've seen certain 1080p 10 minute videos compress from hundreds of megabytes to around 10 MB by just using a better codec, even while maintaining subjectively perceived quality.

On average video consumes much more bandwidth than video games, but there exist counterexamples.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.