Download your posts? Project proposal.

I find it useful to have a copy of my posts offline. This allows me to quickly search for particular posts and code snippets (with incremental grep, e.g.) and I don't have to worry about losing all the stuff I've written if something happens to this website.

I used to write my posts in a text editor and then copy them into the forum, but I couldn't manage to do that consistently. And even when I did actually find a post I had saved, it was rarely sufficient without the accompanying discussion. So, early last year, I wrote a shell script to download all the threads in the My Topics list. Those are the threads I've "bookmarked", as well as any threads I've replied to.

I can't pretend that the script is very nice, but I figure that some of the regulars might find the functionality useful. Unfortunately, most of you aren't going to be able to use what I've written. So, I'm going to suggest a small project - I'd like to see a tool to download posts from this forum and munge the resulting HTML, written in portable modern C++. I considered doing this myself and sharing the result, but I now have limited need for it, and there may be some potential here.

Not only could such a project be useful to forum users, but it could be a valuable learning experience for some newer contributors. I don't imagine it would be difficult to write.

If there is interest, I'd be willing to help create such a tool, collaboratively.

I'm taking a short trip to New York on Tuesday the 17th, but I will be back by the end of the week and I'll see what you folks have to say by then. Let me know what you think. Many thanks.

(You can find the script at https://mbozzi.com/curlposts.sh.html .)
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.