• Forum
  • Lounge
  • What this forum needs [Discussion Thread

What this forum needs [Discussion Thread]

Since there isn't such a thread in this forum at the moment, I thought I would make one. I'll make a list to which I will add whatever is agreed by majority in the reply section. Hopefully I will keep this thread alive.

And if we're happy with the list maybe we'll try to get the administrators attention to it. Even if there's no chance we would have changes, there's no harm in discussing what this forum needs very direly.

List of things this forum needs:

1) Posts not getting registered - It is very annoying to hit reply and have the forum fail the request you sent in. And when that happens, there's nothing you can do to access that text which you had typed in.
[~Peter87]

Possible fixes:
i) Make it so that the post gets verified before the user loses sight of the text.

Proposes:
1) The forum should detect when a user is not using coding tags, and warn him before posting. [Nwb]
2)
3)

For the first proposal:
[You can just click out of the warning, but the forum should only detect you as not using coding tags when there is a LOT of code that is not being embedded inside coding tags]

Please reply with your personal suggestions, and your opinions on the current proposals.

Last edited on
The "new topic" interface is broken. You cannot use the formatting buttons and the preview doesn't work. Long-time users can easily get around these problems but the majority of new topics are created by new users so this makes the situation extra bad. Long-time users often complain that new users don't use code tags, etc. but this is understandable in my opinion because of the broken interface so I seldom complain nowadays. In my opinion this is the most important thing that needs to get fixed.

Another problem is that if a post fails to submit for some reason the post content is lost. I think most of us long-time users have become used to copy the text before submitting but I still forget sometimes which can lead to having to retype the whole thing. This is the second most important thing that needs get fixed in my opinion.

Other than these two I can't think of anything that needs improving right now. I think it would be a mistake to add new features before these two things has been fixed.
Last edited on
Long-time users often complain that new users don't use code tags, etc. but this is understandable in my opinion because of the broken interface

You misunderstand. We don't "complain" that new users don't do a thing. We advise that new users start doing a thing, because doing that thing is going to make it more likely that the new user gets the help they're looking for.
Last edited on
Peter what's wrong with the new topic interface, formatting buttons and preview?

Added first item in the list. Does anybody have any suggestions on what the approach should be to fix the first issue in our list?

While we're at it: How about more formatting options? Like larger text size and less importantly emojis?
Last edited on
Peter what's wrong with the new topic interface, formatting buttons and preview?

If you press one of the format buttons nothing happens.
If you press the 'Preview' button it shows nothing of what you have written in the preview, as if you had not written anything at all.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.