What do you use programming for outside your job?

I know some of you do really cool stuff. Now's ye time to shine maties.
Here's where I shine ;p
It's emacs - gcc - gdb on linux mint. Some tools I may be missing like an automatic typing machine.
Automatic typing machine?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
For the past twenty years...not much. A full day of programming for work was enough.

With recent events I find myself gearing up for physical computing (robotics mainly), also SDR (interested in grabbing data from satellites), and recently came across the Intel NCS2 Movidius Neural Compute Stick 2, Perfect for Deep Neural Network applications (DNN).
To Grime :
in Engineer Scott's own words : "Using a keyboard, how quaint !"

Please accept my best wishes :)
Is that a reference?? I'm so bad with references.. I feel dumb 0_0

My mind is blow ;'[
It's not a pointer; it's a reference to a Star Trek movie where they rescue two whales

Scott actually has to type commands for the first time in his life :(
Grime: Asks if it's a reference
(Grime is bad with references)
mycuser: Says it's not a pointer.
(Grime gets excited)
mycuser: Says it's a reference.
(Grime flips table)

[softvoice]Why you do dis to me :'([/softvoice]

Cool, I've not seen Star Trek so.. yes. you can. officially murder me now. *closes eyes*
If you haven't seen Star Trek, then it means you are actually living in the Star Trek Universe :)

What does the word "murder" refer to ? ( here is a reference for you :) )
closed account (E0p9LyTq)

I don't work, and when I did programming wasn't even remotely part of my job.

I use programming as a hobby, for fun.
I don't really work, since I'm just a university student. I guess you can say the job I use programming for is just assignments. Outside assignments however I guess you can say just hobby things. I enjoy making retro games using SFML. These retro games are heavily influence by the many games I've played when I was a child, but many of these go unfinished because I decide to make a new one. Very rarely if I need something done on my computer, I'll write small bash scripts or Python scripts.
In the past, I've made a bunch of small programs to test out individual concepts and ideas, but never coalesced anything into something I'm that proud of. Some art-related programs, one of which produced something I thought was cool enough to hang in my room.

I've also made programs to help me with making other, real programs at work... so I guess that counts as meta-programming.

Recently I've been getting into desktop GUI programming, to trying to bring previous elements together in a user-friendly manner to actually make a whole program.
closed account (367kGNh0)
I code in my spare time
My biggest project is a reimplemention the OS used in HP hand-held calculators from about 1989 to 2005. It's called RPL - Reverse Polish Lisp.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.