A big doubt

Since many of u would have solved the January challenge codechef I just wanted to know what is the use of these kind of problems most of them were like u have to find a pattern and code it . My question is like is these kind of problems asked in the coding round of placements in our college (INDIA)?
If not ( which is what I think ) then what kind of problems are asked and where can I practice or get those problems.
Pls help
cheers :)
What is the reason to report my previous post I seriously don't get it .
Or tell me in what cases is a post reported?
But pls do reply for my previous question
Cheers:)
The reason to report is entirely up to the person doing the reporting.

If I had to take a guess, it's because you're asking about something about codechef, and all the regulars here are pretty sick of seeing codechef questions. I personally don't think that's a reason to report (it is a reason to ignore the question), but I guess that person begs to differ.
Ok I get it but what about the question ?
What's the answer to it ? Common guys pls do participate this might help many people.
Ok to tell the truth it had nothing to do with coding or something where in u have to post your code I'm just asking ur suggestion .
Pls do respond :)
Anybody can report anybody's post (and that's when you see the report flag up) and they may even do it for no reason at all. So just because your post was reported doesn't mean it's not allowed. I feel that this question is legitimate.

What questions they may ask is up to them but you should expect some aptitude and knowledge related questions. As for codechef.. I can't tell. Does it help? I have no clue.

I guess if you really liked solving such problems then you would be.
Tnx for ur response I mean I get it but where should I ask these kind of questions then?I'm in my 2nd year currently so I have lots of doubt b4 giving the big shot :( that's why I had to ask
And tnx again for ur response :)
You had essentially three questions:
* What kind of problems are asked in the coding round of placements in our college?
* How can I practice for such problems?

* Are there any benefits in participating on competitive programming?

The way you did ask them makes a casual reader see: CodeChef <blah> <blah>
... and ignore the topic.

I don't know your college, big shot placements in college, or coding round. I would assume that someone (local students?) has collected questions from previous rounds.

I do presume that part of your questions can be answered only by those, who know your college.

On more general level, there is a paradox. One can focus on knowing the answers to the exact questions that one will encounter. That could solve the "placement problem" optimally. That, however, is not widely applicable knowledge and skill. Furthermore, scoring on placement might not necessarily mean development potential (or lack of).
Well this is a great answer
Well I study in nit trichy if anyone is kind enough pls help me .
Tnx for answering though :)
I don't think much of the Codechef problems that people ask about here. They all seem like really contrived, esoteric problems. If I were hiring, I'd be interested in the candidate's knowledge of common data structures and algorithms, not esoteric ones.

I'll give an example of an interview question that I was asked 25 years ago. I liked it so much that I usually ask it myself.
You've given a large text file with a list of words. You're goal is to print out the all the unique words and how many times they occur, one per line. The output should be sorted by the number of times they occur.

This is a whiteboard problem. I'm not looking for code, just for the approach and an algorithm. It can be solved with basic data structures that any CS grad should know. It can be solved efficiently or inefficiently.

Returning to codechef, I think it can be useful as a vehicle to practice programming. The problems are interesting in the same way that mathematical problems and puzzles are interesting, but like I said, many of the problems seem very esoteric. If you can't think up a fast algorithm to solve the problem, them move on to another problem.

Take a look at projecteuler.net instead. I did dozens of those problems and found them fun and interesting. When you complete a problem successfully, you get access to other people's answers. Sometimes you'll find a really clever and simple answer that you hadn't though of.
wow tnx for ur reply:)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.