My C++ Journey

Hello. I have recently joined and in order to be an active member I will post an update about my C++ journey. I dont want to be seen as a leech when I finally have to ask a coding question.

Following the recommendations of two members of this forum I obtained the book: Programming – Principles and Practice. Using C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup. I have worked my way gradually up to page 28 so far and along the way I have completed all the exercises and suggestions.

I have encountered some minor problems to do with not downloading a header file that accompanies the book. After a lot of staring at the code and a small amount of internet searching I have sorted things out and all example programs are running as expected.

I have now got the beginning of my own Glossary of Terms and alot of example code that I have added appropriate comments to. I am working through the book slowly and making sure I understand everything in the chapter. I have also written two very simple programs that use techniques so far learned.

I am finding this a very interesting language to learn and it really is taking me back to my childhood programming on the likes of a Spectrum 128 and VIC 20. Great fun, thanks for reading.
By the way, props to you for having the commitment to buy a book and sit down with it. ;)

It might be weird, but I absolutely love blog like these. I think it would be really cool if you maintained this thread. That would be awesome man, so please do. Don't hesitate to be less brief and more specific. Like you could mention in little more details the programs you wrote or something like that. Because I think you would appreciate that little effort when you look back at this thread to read about when you started C++. You'll cherish this moment, trust me.

And, PLEASE PLEASE store all your programs, organize them by date and don't delete even one of them (programs that you wrote, exercise programs count too but example programs don't because it's just copy-pasting).

It has hardly been so long since I have started programming myself and it feels so fuzzy when I see my first ever C++ program and to think about what was going on in my head.

Like for example, I used to think that arrays could hold other arrays. So an array of characters could hold several arrays of character within it. Then when I tried holding a bunch of questions in a char array, it told me that I could not convert char to char*. So guess what I did? I replaced char with char* and it worked. LOL. There are several such small things about my first program that just make me fuzzy man. And this was not even long ago, think about when you're reading your first program/blog after like 5 years or something.
Thanks for the feedback Grime. I have already organised every program into folders such as; programs listed in the book - programs based on the suggested exercises and my own programs. I am a hoarder with this kind of stuff thank heavens.

I will keep updating if its not too boring then. You want more detail? Ok I will try my best. You are quite right about this and I thank you for the advice. I think it will be helpful for myself to look back at it in the future.

p.s. I am at the mercy of a grammar checker in Word so please dont expect some best selling book to be written down.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.