Curiosity - Atheist or Theist?

Pages: 12
I was just thinking about stuff that I've already forgotten and then I really wanted to know how many atheists there would be within a coding community.

We could debate as well I suppose (I am an atheist), but I was more curious about if people here tend to lean towards one way or the other.

Atheist or Theist? If Theist, what's your religion or belief?
Last edited on
I'm all for the idea of believing in a creator; it gives hope in life for many people. I don't have an opinion on whether there really is a god. I am religious only for the sake of tradition, I don't live and die thinking about god.

There hasn't been a single race of human beings that haven't believed in something supernatural. And almost all races of human beings have believed in something along the lines of god. So maybe having the belief of a god used to be an instinct that helped us survive and thrive. Y'Never know.

Most importantly it gives you an excuse to do good things. It gives you hope when you're having a tough time in life. It builds compassion in you for other people. It gives your life a meaning. That's what religion is really about.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I'm a Pizzatarian: The Church of the Late-in-the-day Slice. 👐🍕🙏

I think this will go Thin-n-Crispy rather than Deep Pan.
Why the bipolar extremes?

Agnostic should be in there somewhere.
I really wanted to know how many atheists there would be within a coding community.

The answers you'll get here won't really be representative of the entire community, just the few people who chose to participate in the thread.

Since I'm participating, "strong atheist", as we're now called, here, but I've worked with programmers that observed salah, gathered for a minyan, went to all the Hindu festivals, and even with one that preached young earth creationism at lunch breaks (mercifully, not long with that one). In most workplaces in USA, religion and politics are strictly off-topic and I don't actually know anyone's affiliation except where made obvious, e.g. by articles of clothing.

I would expect country of origin to be the biggest factor, with countries like Sweden, Estonia, Russia, China on one end and Brazil, USA, Egypt, India on the other.
Welcome back @Furry Guy !

Agnostic is a term that was made really because you can't prove or disprove God. But really, if you're agnostic, meaning you don't believe you can prove or disprove God, then you're really 90% atheist at that point is how I see it. But if someone is agnostic, I'm sure they'll say so.

The answers you'll get here won't really be representative of the entire community

I understand, but hopefully if enough people to respond I might get an idea of the balance within this forum at at least. Though I'm sure even if that happened I'd be too bias to make an clear distinctions myself.

Thanks guys for the replies so far!
closed account (367kGNh0)
Theist. Don't want to talk too much about it though, its a sensitive topic, I bet soon there'll be a topic on BREXIT
Theist.

You know you are pushing a dangerous button on this forum, right?
It has caused horrid, horrid contention in the past and most of us said enough.
zapshe wrote:
Atheist or Theist? If Theist, what's your religion or belief?
What about non-theists religion or belief?
@Duthomhas It seems to be pretty stable at the moment. I wont try and escalate anything. I've only been part of pretty civilized debates (and there doesn't need to be any debate at all here) up till now so I can forget how heated these things can get; Hopefully nothing like that happens here.
@Grey Wolf - Feel free to share that too Pizzatarian! xD
Last edited on
Well, I am atheist...possible Humanist*...but defiantly each to his own when it comes to religion.

*mainly can't be bothered to read too much about it to now for sure.
@Grey Wolf - Understandable, thanks for your input !
Theist (an evangelical Christian, to be slightly more precise.) Feel free to ask more.

As for atheism vs. agnosticism, most atheists I know are both (i.e., an "agnostic atheist"); that is, they feel that the existence of a God cannot be proven, and thus don't (barring further evidence) believe they exist. You could also have gnostic atheists, who believe that they have certainty in the non-existence of a God, but in my experience they're less common. (Actually in my experience it seems people just don't like to think about it much at all...)

Grey Wolf wrote:
but defiantly each to his own when it comes to religion.
Was that deliberate? :)
TwilightSpectre wrote:
Was that deliberate?
Yes...it's kind of like; I have my beliefs and you have your beliefs and as long as we don't go into the realms of condemning each other or our beliefs things will be fine. It's a tricky subject to talks about without treading on peoples toes ...too many triggers in this minefield. :0)
As for atheism vs. agnosticism, most atheists I know are both (i.e., an "agnostic atheist"); that is, they feel that the existence of a God cannot be proven, and thus don't (barring further evidence) believe they exist. You could also have gnostic atheists, who believe that they have certainty in the non-existence of a God, but in my experience they're less common. (Actually in my experience it seems people just don't like to think about it much at all...)

Shots fired! I personally don't know any atheists like this, but who knows. If you want to argue, then we should be sure that it stays civil for the sake of the forum!
Last edited on
@zapshe; What shots were fired? Not trying to be argumentative here, just honestly curious. I don't think I said anything there offense-worthy, and if it was, be assured it was unintended! (Also, which "like this" were you referring to?)

@Grey Wolf; fair enough, I can see where you're coming from. I just read it as "definitely" the first time through and had to do a double-take when I looked at it again.
@TwilightSpectre By "like this" I meant atheists who were also agnostic. And don't worry about "shots fired", I was only joking xD . I only brought up being civil as to not start up whatever happened before on this forum apparently, as a reminder.

Being atheist is simply not feeling there's a need to invoke the existence of a God while we feel there's no evidence for it to begin with. Agnostic is a weird term because you sort of HAVE to fall into it. A "proper" atheist, since I lack a better phrase or term, would only be as agnostic to God as anyone else would be agnostic about the Easter Bunny or Santa. They would be agnostic only to the point where they know they cannot disprove the existence of God, but also don't believe him to be real, hence my examples. If one is simply agnostic, then they can't find it in themselves to lean one way or the other. To clarify (so hopefully no one misunderstands my intentions), I only used those examples to talk about being agnostic-atheist and not to make a comparison with them and God.
Last edited on
I've often seen the theism<->atheism, gnostic<->agnostic quadrature but think it is flawed.

I have the view that absence of proof is not proof of absence, that would suggest I would be agnostic on the grid...but I'm not. If agnostic is you can not know the true nature of god then gnostic is you can or do know the nature of god, either way god comes into it.

When it comes to theism<->atheism there is no scale to it. As an atheist, gods are the equivalent of unicorns and dragons, there is nothing to consider 'the nature of'. If you have the slightest belief that there is/maybe a god then I don't see how you can be atheist. So the concept of an agnostic atheist or gnostics atheist makes no sense to me.
Fully agree Grey Wolf! Thanks for the input.
Pages: 12