Visual Studio 2019 released?

It looks like MS released VS 2019, without making an actual official announcement. Download the installer, run it and it shows it is installing 2019.

The downloaded installer is the same installer that was used for VS 2017.

Time to make an offline install cache for VS2019.

ETA: The installer .exe files contained within the offline cache are updated to a newer version. V16.xxxx vs. V15.xxxx that installed VS2017.
Last edited on
Thanks for letting us know.
The announced release date was today, so I thought I'd see if MS actually made an official announcement.

Getting the offline install cache SEEMS to be going quicker for 2019 than it did for 2017.

Weirdly enough reading the instruction page for creating an offline cache is updated for 2019.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/create-an-offline-installation-of-visual-studio?view=vs-2019
Now I know why 2019 cached so much quicker than 2017:

2017 cache size: 68.9 GB (74,083,725,139 bytes)

2019 cache size: 19.3 GB (20,821,813,932 bytes)
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Furry Guy wrote:
It looks like MS released VS 2019, without making an actual official announcement. Download the installer, run it and it shows it is installing 2019.
Hmm, 17 minutes ago I got a notification in VS 2019 preview that Preview 5.0 is available.
This doesn't look like a preview version, but I could be wrong.
I think it is on general release see:
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/visualstudio/visual-studio-2019-code-faster-work-smarter-create-the-future/?utm_source=vs_developer_news&utm_medium=referral

I'm just finding it odd that it is going to another preview on my machine...I'll see what it does, it curently doing the next update...
The VS downloads page kinda, somewhat, makes the release official, and doesn't. Still showing 2019 as a preview.

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/
The more I poke around it looks like the official announcement is still in progress, by doing live launch events. Various locations in the US and Canada already held events. The one at/near MS HQ in Redmond, WA, USA is still ongoing, with lunch happening at this time.

@Grey Wolf, since you already have the preview version installed, how do you like it? Better than VS 2017?
Furry Guy, I'm not a fan...of the new project dialog...yet. It will probably grow on me. I'm not sure that I see major differences between them (VS 2017 Enterprise and VS 2019 Enterprise Preview), this to me is a good thing, I like subtle improvements over mass change.
I use the Community edition, and I agree about subtle, "behind the scenes" inner workings improvements. The list I've briefly glanced at looks promising for improving the guts of VS.

As long as I can start a new empty project without having precompiled headers turned on and can select C++ Console/Windows target I can learn to deal with a revised new project dialog.
Grey Wolf wrote:
'm not a fan...of the new project dialog...yet.

The new dialog in 2019 certainly looks a bit overly complicated compared to 2017's dialog.

I do miss the Start Page that has a list of recent projects/solutions. One click and go.

Overall not too many changes that make navigating around the GUI more difficult, just a bit of adapting to a new tool.
I still have Preview (trying to find out if I have to remove preview and install the release version or if it will update itself in time).

In preview it goes to a 'start window'...has the list for open recent and get started (new projects, open solutions etc. if you don't have this in might be set here:
Options->Environment->startup has options for Start windows, most recent solution, or empty environment.
The default Start window does have the recent projects list.

I don't like having to answer a splash-screen dialog before the program launches is all. And without the in-the-background start page 2017 has I have to re-launch the dialog to see what I was working on.

That is more user-hostile than user-friendly. IMO.

I recognize this is the initial release of 2019, I'm hoping what I see as rough edges get smoothed out.

And if they don't, I can adapt.
(trying to find out if I have to remove preview and install the release version or if it will update itself in time)

Microsofties are telling the peons just be patient.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9508be07-24ab-4f4d-8a49-968d91b39ce7/what-does-it-take-to-update-visual-studio-2019-preview-to-final-version-upon-release

You'd think making the change-over easy to do would be one of the last things done just before the release happened, but this is MS we are talking about.
WHOA! VS 2019 does have a start page, like 2017's. It is a hidden menu item.

I was mucking around with the keyboard shortcut macros and found two commands File.StartWindow and File.StartPage. I assigned a two step keyboard shortcut to the StartPage.

Used the shortcut and *BAM!* The "Start Page!"

Now, if only activating the start page wasn't a hidden menu item.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.