Another Recommend a Browser Thread

Pages: 12
I finally got myself a replacement OS after my last hard drive started acting geriatric. Windows 10 64-bit. Yay.

Anyway, now using Edge, which I initially thought kind of nice, but now it is just ticking me off. Stuff behaves wrong, and it crashes constantly.

I was pretty happy with Vivaldi, and am leaning to reinstalling it.
  • dark mode
• normally pretty quick
  • slow startup
  • perhaps too much effort on pretty UX stuff and not enough on a quick web experience?

I am not interested in Brave or other things made by people who want you to join in their a$$holery.

Does anyone else have a preference? And why?
I was fond of FireFox, not so much the recent versions, I stayed at 56.0.1.

Now I am getting nagged by many websites my browser is out-dated (Netflix), denying me access (Lowes. US based hardware store) and really aggravating is lately having my plugins being deactivated by Mozilla without my permission.

I'm playing with Pale Moon, and am getting to like the retro-Mozilla look and feel it has. Lots of old plugins that Mozilla zapped even before version 56 work.

Brave, as far as I can tell, has no way to white-list a website. Either you use the BLOCK EVERYTHING feature or run wide-open.

I've read on the interwebz Opera will allow selective white-listing, but I haven't tried it.

Microsoft is de-emphasizing Edge use, they realize it is a bigger POS than IE.
Alas, I have no interest in old or outdated browsers.
Then you really don't need to picky about what "modern" browser you use, since they are all shifting towards using the chromium engine.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Duthomhas, have you thought about giving the 'new' Edge a go? Apparently it is not in beta yet...I could have swore it was.
https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/

At the moment I bounce between Edge and Chrome (and Safari on iOS) depending of the site...I would love a single browser...that I could trust...but I don't think that will ever happen.
There is servo, not sure if its still relevant, but I liked the UI.
Good grief.

Using Edge is a continual exercise in frustration.

• It is slow to react to user input, often leaving you wondering if it noticed...
  • ...because it ignores input when it isn’t listening. (Which is often.)

• It has no way to force a complete refresh on local objects.
    Making local HTML design an exercise in refresh futility.

• Constant crashes.

• I can’t even remember all the little things it doesn’t do.

This is what you get when you try to completely rewrite a new version of something that has been around and working for ages...

Since everyone is recommending old, not-updated software, I think I am going to go back to Vivaldi. It works very well and is based on Chrome.
Finally got fed up with Edge.

Fortunately my internet connection was in a good mood and I was able to download and reinstall Vivaldi. https://vivaldi.com/

And I was almost instantly reminded how much I like that browser.

/me much happier
I've been using Google Chrome for years, great browser. It has great security behind the scenes and has everything you'd want a browser to have. Never had a reason to look somewhere else.
I did. Which is why I found Vivaldi to begin with. (You know that Vivaldi is built from Chrome, right?)

/minor rant

I am weird, it seems. When I MMB-click a link, I want the link to open in a new tab and for the new tab to be made active.

Most people, however, seem to hate that. With rabid, frothing passion.

Which leaves me annoyed because I can’t do what I want.
Hopefully Vivaldi will make it an option soon, because using RMB and selecting “Open Link in New Tab” does make it active, and people are complaining.

/end rant
Yea, I saw you saw it was based off it. I never heard of it before and never looked for another browser after Chrome, but maybe I'll give it a try. Is there something that makes it better?

And yea, it's annoying to me when the new tab automatically becomes active, because I most likely wanted to finish up what I was doing on the original page before actually checking out the other link! I feel like something like this should be a setting accessible in the browser, so maybe they will include it.
closed account (367kGNh0)
How can you do such, @Duthomhas

/me much happier
"I'm much happier" would be more suitable, what reason is there not to use it?
Last edited on
Should it not be "/me is much happier", assuming it's the old IRC syntax?
/me confuzeled me thinks
Edge's default news feed you are given when opening by default is also incredibly irritating to read...every day. It never gets better
Last edited on
A lot of reviewers have said Edge is far from the mess Internet Explorer was. I've used it myself lightly on other people's computers cause it would be all they have, not bad but I'd never switch to it.
Last edited on
Edge renders stuff just fine, and you can turn off the news feed in the settings.

The problem is that it is a write from scratch kind of program, so there are a lot of little things that misbehave, where the much more mature IE had fixed them ages ago.

/me hopes this helps
Last edited on
you can turn off the news feed in the settings.

Thank you, now I no longer have to open my browser to find out today's breaking news is that someone said they have an ounce of respect for communism.
On my Chinese friend's laptop, it shows news from China, which almost always includes some hot asian.
On my Chinese friend's laptop, it shows news from China, which almost always includes some hot asian.

This is what I hate about most the clickbaiting world. They will go as so far to sexualise people in order to get attention. They are derogatory, degrading and are among the more frequent objectifiers in today's doomed earth.
Last edited on
Pages: 12