Can I Strangle Them Now?

Pages: 12
Well, it went better than it could have. He said he can't prove I gave him the assignments so he wouldn't fail me, but he'd still give me 0s for the suspicious assignments.

Other guy still has to go in to talk. The professor said if he figures out how he got my code (if it shows that it wasn't me who gave him the code) then he'll give me the points back (EDIT: I forgot to finish this sentence). He seemed to at least realize that I wouldn't hand him code to simply turn in, but obviously the evidence is too implicating.

Could have gone worse, but the assignments dropped by grade to a 75% - had an 89% before that. I'll update on anything that happens.
Last edited on
I would push back. See my PM.

[edit]
For other readers, I am giving zapshe specific advice I do not want to be available publicly at this juncture.

The case here is that helping and/or studying with other students is not actionable by any reasonable measure. Even showing other students actual, functional code is not actionable.

Giving them code might be, depending on the University governing rules and regulations.

But it cannot be proven that zapshe actually gave away his code.

It can, however, be proven that the other student was dumb enough to try to cheat by turning in near-identical code to zapshe’s.

The trick, then, is to determine which one stole the code to cheat, which is an easy interview with each student.

The “fail them both” measure has long been considered objectionable by both higher and lower education...
Last edited on
this may be easy to fix.
agree to take an 'extra' proof test with just you and the other student in the room, as far apart as you can get, with the TA and PROF both watching you. The questions you have not seen before. It can be short, simple questions.

Compare those after.

If your buddy is cheating, it will show... he won't be able to do them. If you produce very similar code, it will show that too. And you look as if you have nothing to hide by offering this.
Last edited on
If your buddy is cheating, it will show... he won't be able to do them. If you produce very similar code, it will show that too. And you look as if you have nothing to hide by offering this.

He's not very good at coding, doubtful he'd be able to solve anything without being able to look of it up. Either way, the professor assumes he's been cheating and that it was off me at this point.
After finally figuring out what's really happening, it seems receiving 0s for the assignments will be the "academic sanction" that the professor pushes for as he moves this case along. It'll be up to the office of student conduct to either dismiss the allegations or find them to be true and accept the professors sanctions/impose their own. I of course have the right to appeal if it gets that far, which can go either way.
closed account (367kGNh0)
If this was enforced, would the [actually, what do you call somebody being sanctioned? Punisheer? Sanctionient?] regardlessly do the task? Aware they will receive no mark? Sit and wait for their untouched peers to finish?
He's not very good at coding, doubtful he'd be able to solve anything without being able to look of it up

then he should not pass the class anyway and zeros may be the best answer for him.
then he should not pass the class anyway and zeros may be the best answer for him.

Then 90% of the class should also fail xD! Either way, he isn't passing the class to begin with. He did poorly on the midterms/final. The professor doesn't really teach well, to learn you'd have to teach yourself. Most of the students are struggling. He literally just skims through the material. He never stopped to really address the fact that to code, you have to think in terms of computer logic. Any time I see a student coding in the lab, they're very lost.
Well, here's how everything has ended. I talked with my friend and he told them that he took the code without my knowledge. The professor still wanted it to go through but I talked with an official before the actual process began - she said that I'd likely not be found guilty so she went ahead and emailed the professor to drop the case early. The professor has allowed it and seems everything will be fine, it'll be as if the case never happened according to the official I talked to.

However, the professor decided to regrade the 3 assignments himself (the TA originally grades assignments) and deducted most of the points.. At this point, I don't even know what to say. I'm at a B at the moment when my grade would have been a B+, so the difference isn't big enough for me to really care. But I went from As on the assignments to a C, D, and one of them being a straight up F - for code that fully works, is nicely formatted, had gotten a 100% on by the TA, etc.. His reasoning was that I didn't follow the rubric apparently, which I looked at and I totally DID follow. Makes me wonder what kind of grades the other students would have gotten with him as the grader.

At this point I'm just venting even more. But everything went fine. Thanks everyone for listening, and big shout to Duthomhas for a lot of helpful advice. Thanks again!
Last edited on
If you are willing to accept that, then okay.

Otherwise, I wouldn’t quite be done yet.

Your professor isn’t worth talking to at this point: He is acting wholly unprofessional and without integrity. When he had suspected you of academic misconduct, everything he did was within his purview. Now that you have been absolved, and he knows you did not cheat, his actions are indefensible. This is clear retribution.

Has he reviewed and adjusted all the homeworks the TA has evidently mis-graded? Or just yours?

Unfortunately, your university does not make it very easy to hold staff accountable for misconduct. I would lodge a complaint with the CS Department Chair, who has the authority to restore your grade, and, hopefully, annotate your professor’s file for his unprofessional behavior.

See my PM for specifics.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12