What looks good on paper, but is un-ideal, and perhaps dangerous, when implemented

Pages: 12345
Ok. I can buy that. I agree it has benefits, but the implementation in the US specifically has been abysmal. So maybe its not ideal example for his topic.
closed account (E8A4Nwbp)
I don't mean to sound dormant, but I haven't made much headway in finding some a variety of bad "feel good green solutions" I have tried indeed, however it isn't as if, for a specific area, search in google "[What looks good on paper, but is un-ideal, and perhaps dangerous, when implemented]" . May I ask you to list 3-6, just by name, without elaboration on their benefits, then after I select an appealing name from the list you could elaborate on?
the ones already listed:
compact florescent light bulbs
solar panel road
windmill farms
electric cars

and a few more

https://www.momtastic.com/webecoist/2008/10/20/failed-green-technologies-designs-and-innovations/

there are tons of them out there, look for 'failed sustainability projects' maybe
Last edited on
The issue with ALL those, minus electric cars, is they're not really mainstream, I don't think an audience would care to here that a styled in Normandy was incredibly ineffective, as opposed to hearing why their phones are horrible.

In other words, I feel an idea which is mainstream and would be a surprise to hear fustigated would capture an audience's attention better
the light bulbs, cars, and windmills are all mainstream.
But they are well known too, so maybe boring.

Do some web searches then, see what you can find. I saw one claim that over 90% of green stuff ends up completely failed.

Look for anything where government has to ban the old/subsidize the new/legislate to get people to buy into it. Most of those should be paydirt for you. And show some counter examples too, where the new stuff is just better and people buy it because its cheaper/better/cleaner/etc. A simple example of that is your flatscreen monitor, which weighs less, costs less, uses less energy, and is all around better than a CRT. If they still sold them, which would YOU buy at the store if you needed a new one? The one I used at my job was so heavy I could barely lift it and was still half the size of my home one now in terms of screen space, with rounded corners issues, slower refresh, and just plain bad in every way.
Last edited on
Bump,

I decided to remove Communism, as Utopia/Communism are both society systems, I read through this thread and noticed @Ganado , you mentioned Opioids as an ideas which may be of value, could you please expand on this? Why do they look good on paper, as in unsuspiciously good, and why are they disastrous in real life?
Last edited on
“Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.” - Winston S. Churchill

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/267224-democracy-is-the-worst-form-of-government-except-for-all
Though I am effusive you took the time to respond, Furry Guy, In a sense, Democracy and a "Utopian place" fall under the category of systems by which the public is to comply to. Opioids are a world apart from this, so I eagerly await what I hope will be an elaboration to the matter from anyone.
"Stupid Is as Stupid Does." - Forrest Gump
Though I am effusive...

Throw away your Roget's, it is doing you zero favors.
"Stupid Is as Stupid Does."
What!? I literally said "thanks, but I'm looking for a different concept." That is in no way something of patheticness. I asseverated it, merely for because I felt obliged to. I'm not too fond of using informal/basic vocabulary. A greater sense of accomplishment I feel is acquired once you have really rummaged through your vocabulary belt for a word.

Throw away your Roget's, it is doing you zero favors.
I merely pay a daily visit to https://www.merriam-webster.com/time-traveler but I doubt I use obsolete vocabulary.
Last edited on
opium is a wonderful painkiller when used properly. It is a horrible thing when abused. I cant connect how using it properly (say, you have surgery, use it for a week, and stop) is tied to abuse (buy it illegally with intent to abuse, take higher than medical use doses and get addicted).

This is the same issue with many, many things. A vehicle, used properly, gets you to and from work. Used improperly, you have this: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lasvegas-crash/driver-who-plowed-into-las-vegas-crowd-charged-with-murder-idUSKBN0U40X120151223

or many other car abuses -- there are so many they have their own names:
getaway car
vehicular assault
vehicular homicide
etc...

I am not sure that abuse of a useful thing makes it a bad idea: cars are not a bad idea, its just that bad people sometimes use them as a tool to commit their crimes. Short of putting everyone in a rubber room and banning all hard objects, what you gonna do?

supposedly (I do not believe the news these days) the opium crisis is the result of hundreds of idiot doctors that forgot 100% of their medical training and over-prescribed opium because the drug companies, who profit from selling drugs, told them it was OK to do that and they 'believed' it or took a kickback or something with plausible deniability defense. We have known what opium does since the 1800s, so there has to be more to this story than 'the drug company said it was ok'. And as with anything, its likely tied to money when you unravel it.

the overprescribed thing is huge. I know someone close to me with a chronic condition who has literally pounds of prescription opioids and they keep giving more (the person is wary of it and does not take them unless in unbearable pain which is rare). And, its been a challenge for my friend to find a Dr that will *treat* the problem rather than just try to dope it away. In the last year they have reduced it a little, due to awareness and law changes, but if all those pills had been used, there would be a gorilla on his back.
Last edited on
I cant connect how using it properly (say, you have surgery, use it for a week, and stop) is tied to abuse (buy it illegally with intent to abuse, take higher than medical use doses and get addicted).
It's simple, really: for opioids, the effective dose and the dose at which you're likely to develop withdrawal symptoms are often fairly close. That's compounded with the fact that if you need opioids to manage your pain, it's likely you'll need to take them at least daily and for several, perhaps many, weeks.

supposedly (I do not believe the news these days) the opium crisis is the result of hundreds of idiot doctors that forgot 100% of their medical training and over-prescribed opium
It's not necessary to overprescribe. If you, as a matter of health policy, just relax the guidelines to prescribe people opioids (e.g. if someone before might have been on NSAIDs and with a little bit of pain, they're now on morphine at 1x-1.1x the minimum dose that would eliminate the pain), that's enough to increase the number of addicts, because in any given population some percentage of people will become addicts even when exactly dosed.

And, its been a challenge for my friend to find a Dr that will *treat* the problem rather than just try to dope it away.
That often happens because they really have no idea what's wrong with you. A couple years ago I had an intermittent pain on my outer ear, sometimes twice per minute, other times once every ten minutes; it was like someone was grabbing my ear with a pair of pliers, and it was strong enough to trigger my withdrawal reflex and make me tilt my head to the side. Nobody could even give me a diagnosis, so they just gave me diclofenac, and luckily it did go away on its own. Of course, since I wasn't given any treatment, it could just as easily have stayed unchanged.
Last edited on
@Ganado , you mentioned Opioids as an ideas which may be of value, could you please expand on this?

"looks good on paper" --> Opioids are painkillers. They relieve pain. Sounds great.
"un-ideal, perhaps dangerous" --> Highly addictive, were rushed into pharmaceutical marketing and production.
It has destroyed families and I guess you would consider it a gateway to heroin (It's around 50% of heroin users were previously addicted to opioids, or roughly that.)
Purdue Pharma and its owners, the Sackler family, recently offered $10-12 billion to settle on opioid claims that were the result of this sort of marketing. The lawsuit claims that Purdue Pharma knew that putting patients on high dosages of OxyContin for long periods risked serious side effects, but promoted the higher dosages anyway for more profit.

Not to mention, without going into details, I'm friends with a pharmacist and have heard what helios has said, although it happens sometimes even for almost commonplace issues, much lesser symptoms than piercing pain.
Last edited on
I guess you would consider it a gateway to heroin (It's around 50% of heroin users were previously addicted to opioids, or roughly that.)
Well, heroin is an opioid.
You three have my Sincere thanks. I greatly appreciate what you've said. It's of great valuable for the subject.

How licentious powers can be.
That's compounded with the fact that if you need opioids to manage your pain, it's likely you'll need to take them at least daily and for several, perhaps many, weeks.

This is the root of the issue as I see it.
That scenario should not happen apart from last resort situations (eg hospice pain management).
The doctors should know better. The pharmacy should know better. The patient or their caretaker should know better.
Well, heroin is an opioid.
Yes I meant pills/prescription :p
it was like someone was grabbing my ear with a pair of pliers, and it was strong enough to trigger my withdrawal reflex and make me tilt my head to the side.

I was at a neurologist who was speaking with a someone studying under him. He questioned her about a certain type of headache/migraine that sounds familiar to this one. It's one where the person will feel a sharp sudden pain on one side of their head, almost as if someone hit them with a baseball, to the point where they'll actually turn around thinking something hit them.
That's interesting, because at the time I couldn't find a single list of symptoms that included recoiling from neuralgic pain.
What you're describing sounds like trigeminal neuralgia. I don't think that's what I had. The trigeminal nerve innervates the side of the face, and specifically not the ears (pinnae). Also, it seems people suffering from trigeminal neuralgia are at risk of suicide; my pain was nowhere near that bad.
Pages: 12345