What looks good on paper, but is un-ideal, and perhaps dangerous, when implemented

Pages: 12345
Trigeminal neuralgia doesn't sound like it. It was more like Ice Pick Headaches, which may or may not be what it specifically is. The neurologist specifically referred to it as a kind of headache. He went into great detail on how it feels like a sudden hit, to the point where the person won't immediately realize it was a headache but instead think something actually hit them. Since this would be the sensation, I assume recoiling from the pain would be a natural response.
closed account (E8A4Nwbp)
"looks good on paper" --> Opioids are painkillers. They relieve pain.
Glorifying something we permit access into our bodies isn't as simple as embellishing something we merely use for other uses. I think we are typically more likely to question something which is intended for medical purpose, rather than something for, for instance, commute purposes.

Opioids, which are potentially of great value, but unfortunately, the name itself, when compared to the other potentially "good on paper, bad in real life" concepts, is simply incongruous.
(speech marks being what I assume would be a viewer's initial thought)
"Utopia"->"Idyllic, Lawless, and potentially somewhat ethereal! How could it be bad?"

"Electric cars"-> "Emission-free! Futuristic! How could it be bad?"

"Opiods"->"Sounds like Opium, Opium did China more harm than good all those years ago, you'll need to convince me its good before you convince me its bad!"

Despite the unfortunate unsuitability, A medical concept which does look good on paper but is bad in real life would be a fantastic third addition. Does anyone have a potential medical concept, it would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited on
"Sounds like Opium, Opium did China more harm than good all those years ago, you'll need to convince me its good before you convince me its bad!"
Geez, you really can't help yourself, can you? It only takes you so long before you say something idiotic.
Do I also need to convince you that women are safe around rapeseed? Maybe you'd prefer something more harmless-sounding, like baby's breath, foxglove, or nightshade.

Opioids are biosynthesized in the human body as part of normal operation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid_peptide#Endogenous_opioids
I guess human biology must be sinophobic!
Geez, you really can't help yourself, can you?
That was the whole point, it was satirical. The name's connotations I just mean't aren't too useful for engaging an audience's curiosity
Last edited on
If I could suggest a different direction. Living on Mars seems to fit the bill for your original request. On paper it sounds cool as anything else, but in reality you'd be living underground on a cold planet with no magnetosphere. As a species it's something we need to do, but the reality of it is kind of horrific.
yea, and add to that … the odds of making a functional mars colony BEFORE a functional moon colony are about zero. The obsession with mars is an over-reach.
As a species it's something we need to do, but the reality of it is kind of horrific.

I suppose it's scary when first starting out. I watched an anime where colonization was complete and Mars has been home to many generations - Aldnoah.Zero
yea, and add to that … the odds of making a functional mars colony BEFORE a functional moon colony are about zero. The obsession with mars is an over-reach.

How? The moon has NO atmosphere at all. Mars is more suitable. Moreover, if something happened to Earth, the moon would be impacted heavily too - which would almost defeat one of the main purposes to colonize another planet.
The moon has NO atmosphere at all. Mars is more suitable.
Mars has only marginally more atmosphere than none at all, and it's mostly CO2.

Moreover, if something happened to Earth, the moon would be impacted heavily too
What exactly are you thinking of? Short of a rogue black hole, I have a hard time thinking of something big enough to hit a region of ~350,000 km.
Mars has only marginally more atmosphere than none at all, and it's mostly CO2.

https://www.mars-one.com/faq/mission-to-mars/why-mars-and-not-another-planet

Something is better than nothing in this case. They want colonizers to be able to be self-sustaining - which requires a planet that has resources like Mars. CO2 can be turned into oxygen.

What exactly are you thinking of? Short of a rogue black hole, I have a hard time thinking of something big enough to hit a region of ~350,000 km.

Just in case, it's possible. Having two planets make it more likely for humanity to survive in general.
sure. but baby steps. A sealed building on the moon where we can rescue the people if it goes wrong. Currently, we can barely land a unmanned 4 wheeler on mars safely; I think we are 2 for 6 or more?
We are not ready for it. If the moon is a no go, we need another 25 years of R&D to skip it.
If you keep waiting for the right moment, you'll find that it never actually comes.

Moreover, having people in the ship to make decisions in real-time would likely have saved most of the crash landing rovers since it takes several minutes to even communicate between the rover and Earth. This means that if things aren't perfectly calculated beforehand, the mission fails. Moreover, NASA hasn't failed at a single landing after their first success. I don't think there's any reason we can't send people to Mars.
Thank you all for expanding on mars, I would consider it, but I found chemotherapy is equally ubiquitous and comes with it's share of positives and negatives. Additionally, chemotherapy is a medical matter, while Mars missions are aerospace related, and I would assume medical matters are more audience connected, than aerospace matters. Terribly sorry not to take the suggestion, @Computergeek01
Last edited on
chemotherapy is equally ubiquitous
Equally ubiquitous as colonization of Mars? I honestly have no idea what else you could be referring to.

I found chemotherapy [...] comes with it's share of positives and negatives.
It hardly makes a difference that chemotherapy has positives and negatives when the alternative is dying of cancer, I'd say.
the alternative is dying
Not necessarily. Alternative treatments are another option. https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/types
Last edited on
Is the argument here that the doctor might be stupid? Presumably a doctor chooses a treatment plan considering all available information, such as type of cancer, age and lifestyle of the patient, family history, etc. If they still chose to include chemotherapy we can safely assume it's for a good reason. I think it would be ill-advised to second-guess that decision, at least without a second opinion.
ask Bob Marley about alternative treatments.
Chemo can be brutal. There are many kinds. The one my wife had was as gentle as a fluids for dehydration IV. Made her vulnerable to getting sick, but no other ill effects.

Cancer isn't as scary as it once was. They have gotten a lot better at treating many kinds of it.

That said, doctors need to be second guessed, frequently. Get online and research deeply anything major you have. Ask your dr questions. Get second opinions. They are just people, and not all knowing ones. Help them help you.

I don't think you can blanket say chemo is an example of good idea bad thing. Its saved too many people. Its killed a fair share too, but 0% of those were going to live without it.
Last edited on
Strange reporting is going on,

thank you for the feedback, @jonnin. Shame (well, thank goodness actually), it's difficult with healthcare really, as of course most public procedure's will have been thoroughly assessed, but there's bound to be one.
Last edited on
so I had prepared another medical concept, joint implants

How about sex changes
Pages: 12345