Can I chinese mouse affect your health

closed account (E8A4Nwbp)
Hi,

I purchased a chinese affordable wireless mouse (zero reviews, found in "newest arrivals") from amazon.co.uk

I'm not sure if it's merely a psychological affect, but when I use it I feel sort of funny, as if it's emitting ionising radiation. Is it possible that the laser, or any other mechanical component within the device is harmful?
No
¿is the keyboard made in Taiwan?
Yes, if you believe it can.
Yes, if you believe it can.
This, unironically. Placebo can be powerful!

The cheap plastics touching your skin will harm you more than a weak 2.4 GHz signal.
ionising radiation
No.
Last edited on
Humans can't directly sense electromagnetic radiation other than light. Some wavelengths can be perceived indirectly. For example, you can feel the heat generated by microwaves (it's the same effect that heats up food in a microwave oven).
The effects of ionizing radiation are too subtle to be perceived indirectly. Ionizing radiation is dangerous precisely because it's imperceptible and its effects are cumulative.
If you can actually feel getting blasted with ionizing radiation then you have nothing to worry about: you'll be dead within days. However, the conditions that might be able to produce such intense radiation do not come about accidentally. For example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core#Second_incident

Is it possible that the laser, or any other mechanical component within the device is harmful?
Yes. For example, someone might hit you with it.
Yes. For example, someone might hit you with it.

LOL
so that is how they are doing it!
In theory, I could distribute a trojan horse; when the wireless USB is plugged in, wireless the mouse isn't the only item activated.
In actuality you'd run face first at warp speed into the wireless driver's interface, unless you replace the driver.

Not as easy as you think.
Sorry, I mean as an amazon seller, selling "wireless mouses"
In theory, you could go to a restaurant and be poisoned, or your ISP might change every incoming packet to your house and replace the string "C++" with "DONGS".

Yes, when you buy something from someone you're implicitly trusting them to some degree. Unless you're willing to expend the effort to check everything you buy (I assume you're not willing, because that would be a serious undertaking for just about anyone) or to build everything yourself, what's the point of even considering such scenarios?
what's the point of even considering such scenarios?

Nefarious products are not of surprise when distributed from a country such as China.
That doesn't answer my question. Do you have the means to check everything you buy? Do you have the option to obtain those products from different sources, or to do without them, if you find them to be faulty? If the answer to either of those questions is "no", what's the point?
Last edited on
Do you have the means to check everything you buy? Do you have the option to obtain those products from different sources, or to do without them, if you find them to be faulty? If the answer to either of those questions is "no", what's the point?

q1.No
q2.No

I was merely fantasising becoming a successful online merchant who sells unsuspicious but nefarious products. Sorry, I did not mean to imply I thought this mouse was nefarious.

Quite the way to punish profligates.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.