Google

Pages: 1234
Did you notice that in the last few months Google is making it's websites worse?
I used to give it as an example of a website with a very clean and fast design but
after the fade-in, background and the ugly image search thing I can't any more.
I hope that at least it won't start using flash or it will be the death of the Internet

Do you think that since Google is doing this other websites will follow its example?

I've personally changed my search engine to Dogpile after the Google Image thing
I think it's fine. Sure, it's different than what it was before, but we're going to get used to it.

Whatever Google does to its sites, I'm most likely going to stay with it as Google knows everything.
But now it's sloooooooooow, ugly and impractical
If Google knew everything, it wouldn't have done it...
I agree. The fade in thing was cool for a while but quickly became old and irritating. I don't like the new image search either. I really liked it before. I also don't like some of the things they did to YouTube. I think it's because of Bing.

I also used to use Google as an excellent example of a well-designed website; but now... I'm not sure.
Actually, I think the image search works better, now. Sure, it's ugly, but there's a lot less wasted space. What does bother me is that frame on the left during regular search.
Funny, that frame has never bothered me at all but I dislike the new image search.
I like the new image search. You can see more at once and if you need to see more detail, you can hover your mouse over it.

The new fade-in system hasn't bothered me, but when I started getting automatically sent to the HTTPS version of the site it's taken a while to load, causing me to just CTRL-K for searches.
We all make bad decisions. Hopefully Google will make up for it. Has anybody heard about Google Caffeine? Supposed to be insanely fast...er. lol
However Google chooses to display content, you can be sure it is the ABSOLUTE BEST it can possibly be for the method they choose.
Last edited on
They should have an option for people who don't like the new image search like a classic button or something.
tortillahead wrote:
They should have an option for people who don't like the new image search like a classic button or something.

In fact, they do! With the new image search, scroll to the very bottom (which might be just a little bit longer than usual) and click on Classic Image Search and ta-da!
In fact, they do! With the new image search, scroll to the very bottom (which might be just a little bit longer than usual) and click on Classic Image Search and ta-da!
Liar! D:
You can give sout=1 as GET argument to the search URL to get the old look of the result page. But it won't remove the central frame which appears when you click on a result
Oh well. It's better to get used to it now -- eventually they'll switch completely, and then you'll be thrown in the deep end.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
The more I use the new Image search, the more I miss the old one.
"Get used to it" I suppose. It's probably not changing back.
That's weird.. am I really the only one with the option to change back at the bottom?
I have a "switch to basic version" link but it doesn't show any images. Anyway, what about when they remove it? Just get used ot the new version.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I see the "switch to basic version" but it does not stay switched for the next time I do an image search. Maybe it's time to give bing a go. :0)
I see the "switch to basic version" but it does not stay switched for the next time I do an image search. Maybe it's time to give bing a go. :0)

Yea, I second that. I have always used Google because it was simple, and not bloated(by useless things such as a sidebar when searching the web). I am not so sure anymore...
Pages: 1234