Building a console based FTP server and client

Hey guys,

so I have been programming for about 3 years properly now, I've dabbled with game programming I made some very simple games like GUI tic tac toe, gui connect 4, pong game with SDL , very basic text editor with QT

but all of the above projects as simple as they are provided little excitement to me, the main reason I built them was to get better. I may be way out of my depth here and I probably am but I intend to "try" and build an FTP server and client , they obviously will contain very few features and as stated will be console based, also I probably will not use SSL as that probably encompasses another layer of complexity.

So yeah the reason I plan on per taking on this project is to get better but a working FTP server interests me more than games, I quite like networking.

so apart from researching all about FTP,

what libraries and frameworks should I consider ? I could go with libcurl etc but I want to implement as much as I can by myself.

I don't plan on the project being cross platform but I may look into it, right now I'm thinking of doing it for Linux rather than Windows, also what topics should I research into ?

has anybody had any experience in the past building such a project?

thanks
You could read the revant RFCs ...

This is a good place to start.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.