Faulty Keyboard

Hi guys ,

every now and then and now again ( almost constantly ) , some of my keys on my keyboard don't seem to work the keys in question are ". , / < > ; @"

as you can see these keys are vital to program with, I've installed the keyboard driver and reinstalled it but nothing seems to work

I'm using an acer apsire windows 64 bit machine.

I've tried searching online but to no avail seems like this problem is unique leading me to think that it's a mechanical problem rather than a driver issue, I may run a Ubuntu live usb soon to see if the keyboard works there. All the keys on the laptop apart from those keys all work fine.

has anybody ever run into this problem or have any suggestions?

thanks
Laptop keyboards can go flaky. Get a cheap USB keyboard, I'd bet no more dead keys with the USB.
closed account (E8A4Nwbp)
Additionally, have you considered learning keyboard shortcuts then? On my device the \ and | key don't function, so I always use the keyboard shortcut.
there is a virtual keyboard in windows where you can copy and paste from it as needed. the char mapper or something like that.

if you are programming and don't have anything else to use, its annoying, but you can just use something else.
vector ~int# x; //~ is rare but its an operator, use common sense on this idea.

search and replace using virtual keyboard ~ for < and # for > and its fixed. but that is going to be super hard to get used to.

you may also switch keyboard layouts. there are alternates that may help. but you would lose different letters that way.

if it were ME, and I did not have a USB / alternate keyboard, I would do it with notepad++ as my editor and store macros that typed the letter you needed, or a pair of them eg <> (this is like the above but you can make it a single button press instead of many).
Last edited on
They're not all the ones which change position when you switch between US and UK layouts are they?

Because windows in it's infinite helpfulness gives you keyboard accelerators to change your keyboard layout.

Go though your language and keyboard settings to make sure only one version of the layout is installed and make sure any "helpful" accelerators are turned off.
dvorak moves the programming symbols around. I didnt double check if its entirely a solution or not, and it will kill some of the less used ascii letters (mvwz I think may be dead instead of the symbols).... you can check it out. Maybe make a batch file or something that reverses them? Seems like that would be kind of annoying too, but its 'an' option.
If you're on Windows, AutoHotkey is some free software (GPLv2) that could be used to workaround the keyboard issue.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.