download "index.html"?

My google-fu is not good enough to get an answer about this:

What is it?

I think it has something to do with advertisements, but that is just an impression I have formed.

Is this some kind of attack vector?
Yes, I guess that makes two questions now...
Sounds like some sort of HyperText Markup Language document.

No, but seriously, I'm curious as to what you are talking about...?
Last edited on
Sooner or later you will get a pop-up asking if you want to download “index.html”.

As for the HTML stuff, yes, index.html is typically the default page served by a site. No web browser would mistake that as something to ask the user for download without a specifically modified .httpd or other site configuration, especially after properly displaying the page.

No, this is something else. And I do not know why I keep getting asked at various sites. Including cplusplus.com.
Sooner or later you will get a pop-up

I don't get popups 'cuz I restrict scripts, in-line ads and that popup nonsense.

Maybe you have some weird scripting caught in your cache.
Just happened to me too, Duthomas, although it's the first time that I have seen it. Says something about "google syndication" and wants me to look in dropbox. I guess it's to do with the ads on this site and it's google's problem.

I was viewing the site on an (aged) iPad. I have yet to see any such problem from a PC.
Last edited on
I have had it happen on both my PC and my phone, but I tend to keep to a dozen or so sites, none of them untrustworthy. (Things like news and SO and here and the like. FB might be the culprit...)

I am using a fairly recent version of Vivaldi on my PC.
(I’m going to update my phone to use something other than Chrome, whose updates have been ticking me off lately.)

I wonder if Furry Guy’s suggestion is correct. I’ll clean my caches shortly.
Last edited on
Yep, seen that. None of those offer solutions to the current phenomenon.

My PC is Windows/Fedora and my phone is Android. Nothing Apple. (My iPad is currently retired — no sense in spending for internet connectivity on an extra device when I don’t need it.)

Alas.

[edit] Currently in the middle of something, so I haven’t cleaned my browser’s caches yet...
Last edited on
It has been more than a few days, D. Any new news and/or developments on the situation?
Alas, no.

This is one of those things that annoy me infrequently, and my time is usually occupied by more pressing needs.

If I learn anything before this archives I will definitely update here.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.