• Forum
  • Lounge
  • How do you complete a multi-file-type c+

How do you complete a multi-file-type c++ examination online

closed account (E8A4Nwbp)
TASK 1 of this PDF is what I have to achieve using c++. https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/503195-programming-project-tasks-june-2019-and-june-2020.pdf

However, the computer which I have been mandated to use to complete the task does not have a c++ IDE on its system, hence I could use an online IDE, but TASK 1 requires the programmer to use external files. Is it possible to, online, make a c++ program which also uses an external TXT file or the like?

In other words, what website would you use to achieve TASK 1 in the PDF?

Kind regards,

Astra
Last edited on
Do it locally, and do it in such a way that it works without any IDE crutches, and then move to the target machine when its working. There will be little to nothing to change, may be a file path or two sort of things.

as for files, ask the admin of your target system what you can do/have, otherwise you can host the data externally and grab it off a network instead of a hard disk.

I would do it locally, but before considering a non-web-based method, may I ask if you are suggesting it's difficult to achieve merely online?

EDIT: Resolved. Repl.it should be fine
https://repl.it/@rmshaw017/C-fstream
Last edited on
may I ask if you are suggesting it's difficult to achieve merely online?
I was not. I hate working online; my job involves the cloud and they offer online IDE etc and its slow, clunky, can't right click because web browser, can't customize the look and feel much, can't set up real macros and shortcut keys, it forgets settings at times (maybe if you clear browser junk files, which I do often), have to click the mouse to do stuff like compile/run/debug, capture of output is annoying/slow (and often need mouse here too), and so on. Its less efficient and effective than a dumb terminal was!

You can do it, the tools work, and its not 'hard'. Its just clunky and annoying, at least to me. Every computer I touch is more powerful than the super computers when I was learning were: there is no excuse period for anything to be sluggish or clunky anymore, and I have 0 patience for it in a 'get off my lawn' kind of way :)
there is no excuse period for anything to be sluggish or clunky anymore
I would pay regards the fact profit is paramount and in essence over quality, for myriad occidental companies.

However, should the services you speak of require clients to pay a substantial price, I suppose such is fairly appalling, given you are not exaggerating.
Its me, not them, really. I expect instant response time, and things online do not provide this, and it irritates me. I predate having to wait on the ethernet to validate that I bought the software and have updated it and to scan my drive to see what else they might want to sell me and check that the data flow isn't fulla viruses and whatever else modern software is doing while I am waiting on it to open a few bytes of text over a 1, 5, whatever second delay that didn't need to be.

I am kinda harsh about it, but any text editor that is slower to bring up my files than the gun is garbage in my book. That includes word, visual studio, eclipse (I can write hello world before that beast even opens), and most of the rest. All junk in my eyes. Most of my c++ files are < 2k in size. Is it that much to ask that when I want to see one of them, it appears on my screen more or less instantly?!

The last couple of years have been rough. Before that, killing the network connection made stuff work offline efficiently. Now, it looks for the network and locks up instead :(

Last edited on
these inconveniences certainly abet the stresses of obligations at times, however conclusions are what are in essence. I would state if the task is completed appropriately, all can be forgiven.

I did have another inquiry. If you wished, or, if I recall correctly, your father who was/is a mechanical engineer wished, how advanced, independently, a mechanical craft could you make, if you have half a decade and perhaps $500 of disposable income? In spite of having the knowledge of a mechanical engineer, are there copious amounts of possibilities in regards to what you may independently construct? My poorly-founded ambition is a gift for, perhaps, a nephew, such as a robot with myriad features stationary and mobile features (digital clock and alarm, ability to converse (open sourced AI system), RC walking feature etc)

EDIT: Also, to take the first of MANY steps to even a fraction of such a project, would you advice commencing with Rasberry PI, or Arduino, or another kit?
Last edited on
I dunno anymore. The hardware we had when I was doing it was more like $150,000 but it was much, much more expensive back then: this was before cell phones and a 60 hz gps in a small package was not cheap, nor was the DMU, and the smart programmable actuators also cost. And a lot of that was the vehicle; a full sized boat is not cheap, and a large scale model jet aircraft is also not cheap. And, they are easy to bust up if you mess it up, and expensive to replace...

You can build a LOT for a little now; there are toy/kid/educational packages for robots that can do a ton for a low cost. You can certainly build onto those or take the guts from one of those and put it in a more sturdy vehicle.

A walking robot of any real size is much harder than wheels. The ones I did were boats and aircraft, though.

The hardware comes after the design. We used 'pc104' which is a full computer system, actually, and serial ports to talk to the hardware.

My advice is to figure out what you want to do. If its just to play, get one of the kits for playing, like legos or whatever build a programmable thing kit suits your goals. We were building to meet a requirement; such as aerial video survey or a boat that could transport things across without an active driver, or meet someone to pick them up at a certain time and place.

I can try to advise you but to put it another way, we were using embedded 386 computers when i started that stuff, and low end pentiums when I moved on. The things you can do on a phone today took a dedicated device the size of your fits back then, so the vehicles had to be larger and that means money, and the batteries and payload space and all were cramped and such. You can do now in something the size of your fist what I needed an aircraft 5 feet long to do, and for 1/1000th the price! I am too far out of that loop to give you current info, but the how-to I can advise a bit.
I see, it wouldn't be too wise of myself to take chances in this case I suppose, as a mistake would be substantial, given the cost of materials. Hence I currently intend to essentially allow the conforming education system to guide myself to such ability.

I don't suppose you know an engineering structure or concept which may be of assistance regarding the counterintuitive susceptibility of umbrellas to wind, in spite of their sheltering from precipitating? Just as engineering may enable for axles to rotate in a single direction, regardless of wind directions, I don't suppose there is a structure which may cause umbrellas to be impervious to both wind and rain.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.