Data protection

closed account (E8A4Nwbp)
I have some enquiries regarding Data protection online.

1) In fear of people such as employers acquiring access to your public data, is it wise to opt-out of services such as HIBP and Spokeo? Or, counter-intuitively, could opting-out lead to further suspicion?

2) Suppose, from 2010 to 2017, you used a specific email address for a particular social media platform, and then from 2018-present changed it to a different email address. If the initial email address is still active, can employers use it to find your account on the social media platform?

3) Would you recommend any free reverse-email-search services?
Last edited on
Don't publish what you don't want others to read. It's as simple as that. If you publish things you don't want others to read then you're an idiot.
Don't publish what you don't want others to read. It's as simple as that.
Undoubtedly. Though an answer to question 1 and 2 would still be useful, mainly for future situations
Last edited on
Hmm, I googled and sure enough there are social media search engines that can key off email address.

I stuck my own in and got no results :)

Up your paranoia level, if you are concerned. First, change your primary email address and give to all you care about. Second, when you sign up for sites, use a second one (not the old tainted one) or use one of the sites that give you a temporary email that self destructs after a short time (click this link to verify your email nonsense signup stuff).
Last edited on
Thank you @jonnin
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.