Complaints Obviously

Pages: 12
SO! I didn't realize I'd be complaining this soon into the semester.

My math professor turns out to be the same one from last semester - so I expect to learn less than nothing. Yes, I will actually lose knowledge by taking his class. The percentage I need to pass is 55% (for a C which usually begins at 72%), which just goes to show how many students would fail without this built in curve. It's not supposed to be a "difficult" class, but apparently no one told that to the professor.

What's next? Online quizzes! I take online quizzes written in that amazing style where it barely makes sense in an attempt not to give *too* much information. I was literally given a paragraph and asked if it followed APA format. It did. I said true. Apparently it didn't, because there was no citation at the bottom. And I was just blown away. How am I supposed to know that was needed? This wasn't a paper, it was a SINGLE paragraph. A citation at the end should be in the "references" page. Otherwise, if you're given a single paragraph and simply asked if it follows APA format, how the hell can anyone guess that a citation at the bottom was needed?! Now, I admittedly didn't watch what she uploaded where she claims to have gone over whatever... but there's about 5 videos for every quiz and they're long, drawn out, introductions that get no where. The names of the videos aren't helpful either. You'd think the video called "overview" would go over all the material quickly, but instead it's just her (or someone else..) spouting off about nothing. I was watching and genuinely surprised that the words wouldn't stop flowing.

Recorded lectures? Perfect! My philosophy class has recorded lectures, and all it is is a woman reading her own slides and writing their contents on the board behind her. Helpful++. So I just look at the slides and blow off her videos. Somehow, vague slides aren't helpful either, go figure. Imagine explaining a concept, then saying, "And this other concept is just the opposite". I was blown away - especially because the quiz expected specifics.

WELL, online courses aren't that great, but silver lining! I have one class that's actually in person! Day is saved! Except for the professor mumbles the whole time. He uses a mic which still struggles to pick up his voice. His concepts are explained as if he's talking to people who already know what he's talking about.

Let's hope that at least the university gym opens as promised next month.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that I got a new laptop - really nice specs. However, I got Visual Studio 2019 which didn't let me include directories universally across all projects as before. I went in manually to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.27.29110

And added the includes and libraries myself. Took a while just to find this inconvenient hack. This seems impossible to do with the BOOST library as well, so if anyone knows how to make VS 2019 recognize libraries globally throughout all projects that would save lives ;-;
Last edited on
> The percentage I need to pass is 55%

I had to re read that three times to make sure I didn't misread it... That's an insane curve... COVID is taking a massive steamy dump on American colleges right now. We had a professor in the CS retire because, well, if he gets COVID, he's a goner (age related). Also, he refused to use anything other than OSS for learning. My college uses BlackBoard for learning, and I hate it. I hate just about every software out there that colleges make students use because none of them are any good.

Anyways, the person they hired to replace said retired professor just got here last week. He has yet to hold any lectures online nor in person (it's a hybrid class). He has, however, posted presentation slides on BlackBoard. Not very helpful though, since it's bulleted information that requires in-depth explanation. Not really how I'd imagine my senior year to be, but it's whatever.
He's a trash professor, that's the regular curve he gives for this class before Covid-19 even existed. Now that it's all online, it may not be enough with his horrid lectures.

Colleges are going to struggle to pretend they care about students this year.

@againtry That reminds me to put Helios' script on here this laptop to block that mentally retarded post. If it was as easy as going on Google, then it wouldn't have been here. If only people's intellect were as vast as your mental retardation - we'd have a competent society.
The reference I gave you specifically and comprehensively answers your question - directly from the source - the Boost website.
The reference I gave you specifically and comprehensively answers your question - directly from the source - the Boost website.

No, it doesn't solve anything. What do you even think the issue is?
zapshe wrote:
Visual Studio 2019 which didn't let me include directories universally across all projects as before.

I used the advice helios gave you and it works fine for 2019.

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/271176/
Yup. I did this just a few weeks ago when I upgraded to 2019.
Really? "Microsoft.Cpp.<architecture>.user" doesn't exist when I look for it using the same steps. Everything I've tried led me no where :/ I was going to re-install Visual Studio 2017 thinking 2019 had just gotten rid of that file.

I'll have to keep trying I guess, may reinstall VS2019 if it keeps hiding itself.
Try doing a repair before doing an uninstall/reinstall.

With the Property Manager window displayed you should have (theoretically) 4 selectable 'tree view' headings. "Debug | Win32," "Debug | x64," "Release | Win32" and "Release | x64." Under each of those headings should be 4 or 5 items. The top item should be "Microsoft.Cpp.<architecture>.user."

Check to make sure you actually DID install the C++ package(s). They are not part of a default install.

You can run the VS Installer and "Modify" the installed packages.
I build the Boost libraries (x86/x64, Debug/Release) when I get a new Boost version so I can have all the includes and library files available so VS can find them when needed for compiling.

Well, CRAP! It helps to actually add the correct directories to the appropriate properties. Instead of the main Boost root directory for the includes I had my 'special' libs directory. Ooops! VS couldn't find any of the Boost headers until I edited the properties!
I looked appropriately and found nothing. All the other options are there expect for that specific file. I'm also very sure I installed all the C++ packages that were needed, I installed almost everything the installer showed!

I already uninstalled and am about to reinstall VS to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, I'll simply cry to bed.
Side note. I was trying to run your script Helios on Microsoft Edge. I thought I'd try the browser now that it's using chromium underneath and seems pretty nice! The only add-on the worked was "Website scripting". Everything else simply failed.
I reinstalled, same issue:

https://ibb.co/p221prR
Try this, zapshe.....

1. Start an EMPTY PROJECT. No files.

2. ADD a new C++ source file. (.cpp) No need to add any actual code. You can add code if you want. Or add an already existing .cpp file to the project.

Check the Property Manager now.

I start with an "Empty Project" to make sure my projects don't use 'precompiled headers.' Only C/C++ source and header files.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I got the exact same thing :(
Ha, ha, ha, ROFL - I guess I'm not the only retard - laugh a minute from voiceover-monkey. You could have solved it so easily yesterday instead you can't get you new machine to work. So funny - missed by that much ...
zapshe, I feel your pain. I've had similar things with other software baffle me as well. I swear the digital bits hated me.

Maybe MS is trying to 'gaslight' ya.

Well, on a good note the sound from 'the usual suspects' is quite muted as of late. Ah, the blessed relief of silence. <grin>
Ha, ha, ha, ROFL The blind leading the blind. Still getting nowhere perhaps?
Got it to work, had to reinstall Visual Studio 2017 for the file to show up. Hopefully it doesn't disappear if I uninstall it.
Pages: 12