• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Math question permutations vs exponentia

Math question permutations vs exponentiation

Hi guys,

so really dumb question here but I thought I'd ask it anyway, what is the difference between exponentiation and permutations, so let's say we have 2^8 this will give us 256 bits or 256 possible permutations right?

but the permutation formula is N!/(N-R)! , I subbed 8 in for N and 2 in for R and didn't get 256,

isn't a permutation telling us how many possible arrangements we can have? isn't this not the same as 2^N?

In other words how come 8!/(8-2)! is not == to 2^8?

Probably a really dumb question but nonetheless thanks.
Last edited on
its the wrong formula :)
the perm formula you are using is for when you take something away, eg you have a sack full coins, and you take 1 coin away to build your perm, then there are n-1 left in the bag, not n.

you need the formula where the magic bag always holds n.
which is.... an exponent :)

the easy one is so trivial that math classes and courses etc tend to gloss over it and favor the second one.
Last edited on
this will give us 256 bits or 256 possible permutations

256 possible values - not permutations.

A 'simple' definition of permutation is 'designates those ordered arrangements in which no element occurs more than once, but without the requirement of using all the elements from a given set'.

In this context, the important part of the definition is 'without the requirement of using all the elements' and 'ordered arrangements'.

The number of ways of choosing 2 objects from 8 with the ordering of the resultant arrangement important is 8!/(8 - 2)! = 8!/6! = 8 * 7 = 56. So if you had 8 flowers and wanted to choose any 2 were the ordering of the chosen 2 flowers matters, then this can be done in 56 ways.
right.
you want the answer when you flip a coin 8 times and record the result in order (where heads is 0, tails is 1 for example). Its a very different question -- as I said, the formula you use does not answer the question you posed.

they are both permutations. His simple definition is only one type.
Last edited on
so let's say we have 2^8 this will give us 256 bits or 256 possible permutations right?
The whole problem here is the attempted equivalence is meaningless/incorrect.

2^8 is, in fact, exponentiation - raising 2, in this case to a power, 8 in this case.

And this indeed gives 256 as the answer, but not 256 bits. Pure numbers are scalars, they are dimensionless and a bit is a dimension, or unit if you like.

The result has nothing to do with permutations or combinations.

Now, if you have 8 (binary) bits of information, and this is what this is all about, then all of the possible binary numbers give a binary range from 0000 0000 to 1111 1111 or 0 to 255 decimal. realistically this doesn't have anything to do with permutations or combinations unless you want to waste your time thinking about the permutations of possible values for a single bit - a 0 or a 1 - which goes nowhere.

re the coin analogy. Consider having 8 coins. Each coin can be either heads or tails. The face of one coin has no bearing on any other coin face.

So the first coin can be arranged in 2 ways - either heads up or tails up. The second can again be arranged in 2 ways - heads up or tails up. The same applies for all of the 8 coins.

Therefore the number of ways that the 8 coins can be arranged differently is:

2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 256

ie 2 ^ 8
Correct weight.

A permutation of r numbers from a set S of n numbers with repetition is n^r

- raising n to the power r is exponentiation
- r is the exponent of n

Here, r = 8, n = 2 ( i.e S = {0,1} ) (No single coin zero sum analogy required)
There are 2^8 = 256 permutations, as we all know and have come to love.

Thanks guys makes sense,

I just used bits as an example to give the question a little meaning I guess, but yeah of course bits is redundant as that part is not important.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.