Javascript Interview!?

Heyyyy ;-;

I have an interview on Friday with a company that primarily codes in Javascript. I've been coding in Javascript recently, making some simple websites and stuff like that. The interview is for an internship, so they don't expect me to be a master.

So, does anyone here have some nice Javascript experience/information that would be nice to know going in?

I'm already looking at interview questions and am going to code some things to really see the nooks and crannies of the language as far as I can until the interview.

Are you interviewing a frontend or backend position for javascript? Javascript is used in a lot of stuff, so it really depends.
I'd say Javascript in general as a language rather than its implementations is what I'd mostly be quizzed on in the interview. However, they seem to be using it for cloud computing stack software.
Last edited on
I've gone through some interview processes the last semesters or so for internships as well. The companies I interviewed for either ask data structure and algorithm questions or ask you to develop a small simple system.

The company I interned at during is moving towards Amazon Web Services (Amazon cloud computing services), and they asked me to design a small system as well as some system analysis questions when I interviewed for them.

Just from my personal experience, doing well in data structures and algorithms + systems design class really helped me in these interviews, so hopefully the same thing goes for you as well. Language didn't really seem to matter all too much.

edit:
Oh, and it doesn't matter if you know the language or are the best programmer. If you can't convey what you're doing to the interviewer during the coding part, you're probably going to get rejected. Don't stay silent all the time, and ask plenty of questions if you are stuck.
Last edited on
Thanks for the advice :)) Really helpful ! <3
Not sure if node-js is relevant, but general purpose, it may be. I would be sure to know that it exists and what it does differently at the high level. Ties into above, AWS likes node flavor...
Last edited on
so they don't expect me to be a master.
Better not think this way. Usually it is: The guy who knows most wins.

Don't stay silent all the time, and ask plenty of questions if you are stuck.
This could be problematic. Some interviewer might think that they want answers not questions. Or in other words: How much can you solve on your own without support.
Better not think this way. Usually it is: The guy who knows most wins.

True. I'm trying to fill up on Javascript knowledge for the internship.

How much can you solve on your own without support.

I've heard they'll sometimes give you vague questions to see if you ask the right kind of questions.

Not sure if node-js is relevant

They only said, "Javascript and related subjects." I'd say it would at least be important to know about as you said. I've coded nodeJS before, but I didn't delve too deep.
I've heard they'll sometimes give you vague questions to see if you ask the right kind of questions.
Hm, I don't think counter questions are a good idea.

My suggestion:

There are two scenarios i can think of why they ask vague questions:

Scenario 1: It is actually intentionally. Instead of asking counter questions provide two answers you think they like most (depending on the missing piece). If there are more mention this.

Scenario 2: It is vague because they don't know what they are talking about. Provide only one answer you think they like most. This is kind of roulette but at least it is not your fault.

Always keep in mind that the interviewer is always right. If he tells you the earth is flat then you cannot even imagine that there could be something else...
Some interviewer might think that they want answers not questions.

you don't want to work with such people
you don't want to work with such people
Why not?
Why not?

I can't speak for Cubbi, but in my experience, it's always more satisfying and more productive to work with people who are happy to collaborate and communicate. Teamwork gets stuff done much more effectively than everyone working in their own little silos. If the nature of the job is going to be "Here, go away into your little corner and do this, and don't bother me till you're finished," then I don't want to be there.

That applies to the relationship with managers as much as it does to other developers.

Remember, when you're doing a job interview, you're interviewing the employer to find out whether you want to work for them, just as they're interviewing you to find out if they want you working for them.

I do appreciate that when you're starting your career, it's hard to get that first position, so you might not be able to afford to be too choosy. But you don't know what sort of person your interviewer is going to be, so take the approach that's right for you, rather than tying yourself up in knots trying to decide whether they're going to approve or disapprove of asking questions.

As someone who's been on both sides of the interview table several times, asking intelligent questions has always given a better impression than simply sitting there in silence. Proving that you're able to think about something is always a posititve. Proving that you can communicate well is always a positive. Proving that you can take steps to find out information you need to solve a problem should be a positive, and any employer that didn't think so is not an employer that I'd enjoy working for.
I can't speak for Cubbi, but in my experience, it's always more satisfying and more productive to work with people who are happy to collaborate and communicate. Teamwork gets stuff done much more effectively than everyone working in their own little silos. If the nature of the job is going to be "Here, go away into your little corner and do this, and don't bother me till you're finished," then I don't want to be there.
Sure, but what does it has to do with the job interview?

That applies to the relationship with managers as much as it does to other developers.
Well, the relationship with a manager is certainly different from that to a co-worker.

Remember, when you're doing a job interview, you're interviewing the employer to find out whether you want to work for them, just as they're interviewing you to find out if they want you working for them.
In a job interview you won't get any further informations about the internals, so you stick at that surface where you originally applied to the company.

As someone who's been on both sides of the interview table several times, asking intelligent questions has always given a better impression than simply sitting there in silence.
Sitting in silence is of course the worst thing to do. It is incredible hard to come up with a intelligent question in such a stress situation. Plus: Whether a question is intelligent or stupid lies in the eye of the interviewer.

All in all: If you can't make the interviewer your friend you will not get the job even if you prove that you can walk on water...
So, how did your interview go last Friday, @Zapshe?
Sure, but what does it has to do with the job interview?

The interviewers are likely to be testing for the qualities that will fit with the culture of the job. If it's the type of place where communication and teamwork is valued, then the interviewers will be more likely to look favourably on someone who asks questions at the interview.

If it's the type of place where they want people just to go off and complete tasks on their own, then it's the type of place that will probably take the "answers not questions" attitude in interviews. That would be an indication to me that it's not the sort of place I'd want to work.
Back to update. @lastchance - It was postponed so I just recently did the interview.

It went pretty good I'd say. They ended up asking basically nothing about Javascript itself. They're more so looking for someone with the right mindset/competency so that they can train and keep after the internship.

Looks like they code using the Scrum framework.

Overall, I think I left a pretty good impression. Interviewer seemed impressed by a story I told. It was mostly a personal interview to see what kind of person I am, how interested I actually was in coding, and how competent I was by going through my resume and asking me about things.

There's a "final stage" that I apparently still have to go through if selected. I'll update on that as well if I get to it.

Thanks everyone for your input :))
Last edited on
scrum isnt too complex, but I suggest you go to a scrum-master training site and run down the overview of how it works. and, just a head's up, its apparently NOT PC to call a female one 'scrum mistress'.
Last edited on
Ask about the concept of Closures, its applications and what language feature makes it possible.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/best-time-buy-jeep-4412253/#post41085917
They're more so looking for someone with the right mindset/competency so that they can train and keep after the internship.
f it's the type of place where they want people just to go off and complete tasks on their own, then it's the type of place that will probably take the "answers not questions" attitude in interviews.
more like the type of place where they want people to do as told, code monkey style.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.