• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Hi,everyone here from all around the wor

Hi,everyone here from all around the world.

I am a newbie in programming and not a native English speaker.
I have studied C++ here over one month.

Because my mother tongue is not English and all teaching materials here are not English and difficult to understand, I only use this website as my teaching source.Now I am studying "friendship and inheritance" in the tutorial.

Thank the website developers and cyber-friends willing to answer my questions.

The syntaxes of C++ seems difficult but interesting.
I have been clear about what I have learned and there is still much to learn.
But I have no idea what I can do with C++.

Any suggestions for a newbie wanting to creat a new career with C++ at his 40s?

Thanks again.

Yours sincerely
Sheng You
28/1/2021

Any suggestions for a newbie wanting to creat a new career with C++ at his 40s?

I just really hope your area is more ... accommodating than the culture here in the good old US in regards to milestones with ones career in IT. We're not supposed to talk about it but screw that, it's a problem and it exists.

That being said after you learn the basics I encourage you to pick up the Unreal Engine for making games or cartoons. It is so much fun to move the boring work out of the way and just play with the code.
I am 61, learning C++ as a hobby; 40 is not all that old. :)

use this website as my teaching source.

Another good English language C++ tutorial website is Learn C++: https://www.learncpp.com/

The CPlusPlus tutorial stopped being updated, C++11 and some C++14. No C++17 or C++20. Learn C++ is updated often, so has some C++17 coverage. I don't know if they have any updates for C++20.
But I have no idea what I can do with C++.

C++ can do anything that can be done on a computer, using third party libraries for a lot of it, which is true for most general purpose languages. There are some systems that do not allow c++, eg most clouds do not have it as a usable language for their user defined code areas. C++ could do the job, but it was not interfaced into those systems.

a lot of the programs you use every day were done in C++, partly or in full -- your web browser, video games, office tools (spreadsheet, word processor, etc), device drivers, your operating system, things like this almost all were either done in C++ or could have been.
I use C++ to read/write binary files.

I like binary files because they are really handy for storing entries that have many different attributes, like name, an amount, price, etc. So I can store a binary file with info about a product, and then e-mail it to someone, and if someone (Google, for example) tries to read them, they can't! (I think...)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.