What programming languages should I learn?

Pages: 123
Meh, I dont really care either way, it was just for fun originally anyways.
(I was being sarcastic, btw).
(Me too!)
heh I thought you both might of been, but it had been a LONG night and I wasnt really able to distinguish it.
closed account (EzwRko23)
Adobe will sue you for patent infrigement. :D
right, because they own the concept of the mark up language and/or I'm using their source.

edit: I'm almost sure your joking, but lol. again I'm dead tired..

edit edit: also good luck winning that case If they do own the concept of mark up languages. I'm not selling it, it's not being freely distributed (Free as in free speech) It would only be for academia and purposes there in.
Last edited on
Seraphimsan wrote:
good luck winning that case If they do own the concept of mark up languages. I'm not selling it, it's not being freely distributed (Free as in free speech) It would only be for academia and purposes there in.

I'm fairly sure that wouldn't hold up in court - "I was only downloading movies for academic purposes and I'm not distributing them!".
Patents and copy rights work a little differently. But thats besides the point. They can't hold a patent on mark up languages, and no one can.
Ah, but that is where you are wrong! I am Mark U. Language and I hold the patent on markup languages. Right now I have to go convince the WWW consortium to officially change "HTML" to "Hypertext George-Up Language".

They can't hold a patent on mark up languages

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure. Microsoft got a patent on "operating system shutdown" recently. :D
Anyway, I'm almost sure someone holds a patent for a programming language with markup syntax or something similar.
Last edited on
@xorebxebx,
That was only one particular shutdown algorithm, not the concept of shutting an operating system down. You can't patent things that other people are already using, can you?
You can't patent things that other people are already using, can you?
I'm not so sure...
Well, I will be ~21 in the next General Election. I'm voting for Pirate Party UK.

You can't patent things that other people are already using, can you?

Theoretically you can't. But as history shows, everything is possible in US.
Patenting algorithms is stupid.

chrisname wrote:
I'm voting for Pirate Party UK.
Arr.
Avast Ye maties Try and stop me piracy of yer algorithms and ideas.
That's not what the Pirate Party is about. They want to fix the patent and copyright systems, not disregard them completely.

Pirate Party UK wrote:

The world is changing. The Pirate Party understands that the law needs to change to match the realities of life in the 21st century.

We have 3 core policies:

• Reform copyright and patent law. We want to legalise non-commercial file sharing and reduce the excessive length of copyright protection, while ensuring that when creative works are sold, it's the artists who benefit, not monopoly rights holders. We want a patent system that doesn't stifle innovation or make life saving drugs so expensive that patients die.

• End the excessive surveillance, profiling, tracking and monitoring of innocent people by Government and big businesses.

• Ensure that everyone has real freedom of speech and real freedom to enjoy and participate in our shared culture.

In recent years we have seen an unprecedented onslaught on the rights of the individual. We are treated like criminals when we share entertainment digitally, even though this is just the modern equivalent of lending a book or a DVD to a friend. We look on helpless as our culture and heritage, so important for binding our society together, is eroded and privatised.

Now there is a democratic alternative. We, the people, can take back our rights. We, the people, can overturn the fat cats and the corrupt MPs who hold our nation's cultural treasures to ransom, ignore our democratic wishes and undermine our civil liberties.

The internet has turned our world into a global village. Ideas can be shared at incredible speed, and at negligible cost. The benefits are plain to see, but as a result, many vested interests are threatened. The old guard works hard to preserve their power and their privilege, so we must work hard for our freedom. The Pirate Party offers an alternative to the last century's struggles between political left and political right. We are open to anyone and everyone who wants to live in a fair and open society.

Following on from the wildfire success of our sister parties in other countries, the Pirate Party UK offers a new way to tackle society's problems, by releasing the potential of ideas, at the expense of corporate monopolies and the interests of a controlling state.

Outdated laws must change, and will change. The only question is when will we change them. Join our cause, and help make this change happen now!
I've started learning Haskell, I love it so far.
+1 Haskell
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Even though a certain user who promotes the language on this forum like it's the second coming of christ in code form, and is quite annoying, I gave Scala a try and have to say it's quite a nice language.
Pages: 123