This could get interesting....

Pages: 123
China declares all cryptocurrency transactions illegal - https://www.wiproud.com/news/china-declares-all-cryptocurrency-transactions-illegal/
They can be stubborn about it, but they'll probably have to eventually give into cryptocurrency.
You realize they announce that literally every year?
And every year I'd still say "this could get interesting...."
Well as they're only declared and not defined that they are illegal...
wiproud wrote:
Our European visitors are important to us.

Edit:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58678907
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/24/china-declares-transactions-cryptocurrencies-illegal
Last edited on
while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws

I read that as "while we figure out a way around those laws so we can prevent crypto trading and steal your data"
I saw WI Proud and my mind cungered conjured up an image of a White Supremacist branch of the Women's Institute. 🤷‍♂️

I does make me wonder what they are doing with users data if they are needing so much time to sort it...or they lies and European visitors are not important to them.

edit: spelling (tnx helios)
Last edited on
After banning, there will be jail + confiscation.

> Our European visitors are important to us.
Well this "European visitor" waved two fingers at their pathetic attempt to segregate information by using a VPN.

Grey Wolf was half-right.
https://www.whois.com/whois/wiproud.com
Owned by https://www.whois.com/whois/nexstar.tv
Why Europeans are excluded is anybody's guess. This is what the article says. Hardly spell-binding.

BEIJING (AP) — China’s central bank on Friday declared all transactions involving Bitcoin and other virtual currencies illegal, stepping up a campaign to block use of unofficial digital money.

Friday’s notice complained Bitcoin, Ethereum and other digital currencies disrupt the financial system and are used in money-laundering and other crimes.

“Virtual currency derivative transactions are all illegal financial activities and are strictly prohibited,” the People’s Bank of China said on its website.

The price of Bitcoin fell more than 9%, to $41,085, in the hours after the announcement, as did most other crypto tokens. Ethereum skidded almost 10%, falling from $3,100 to around $2,800.

Chinese banks were banned from handling cryptocurrencies in 2013, but the government issued a reminder this year. That reflected official concern cryptocurrency mining and trading might still be going on or the state-run financial system might be indirectly exposed to risks.

Promoters of cryptocurrencies say they allow anonymity and flexibility, but Chinese regulators worry they might weaken the ruling Communist Party’s control over the financial system and say they might help to conceal criminal activity.

The People’s Bank of China is developing an electronic version of the country’s yuan for cashless transactions that can be tracked and controlled by Beijing.

Regulators in other countries have increasingly warned that cryptocurrencies need greater oversight. In the U.S., Gary Gensler, the chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, has said that investors need more protection in the cryptocurrency market, which he called “rife with fraud, scams and abuse” and compared to the “Wild West.”

The SEC has won dozens of cases against crypto fraudsters, but Gensler says the agency needs Congress to give it more authority and funding to adequately regulate the market.

Regulators in China have also been trying to rein in cryptocurrency mining, an energy-intensive process whereby specialized computers generate digital currencies. As a result, miners have been moving operations out of China.

Two years ago, China alone accounted for around three-quarters of all the electricity used for crypto mining, by far the most in the world, according to the Cambridge Bitcoin Electricity Consumption index. By April of this year, before the latest crackdown, China’s share had fallen back to 46%. That still towers over the No. 2 country, the United States, at less than 17%.
Last edited on
Why Europeans are excluded is anybody's guess.
GDPR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation
Thanks, it's along the lines of what I'd gathered from other comments.
cungered
Bwuh? Is it like conjuring, but much more vulgar?
Burger, Carnt speel four toffy.*

I think I must have confused the s**t out of the spellchecker that day. 🤷‍♂️

*This joke was brought to you with the aid of dyslexia and the number four.
Grey Wolf wrote:
I think I must have confused the s**t out of the spellchecker

Reminds me of when I occasionally type up random scripts at work, and since I don't like MSVC, which is the only compiler they have, I write it in Word pad, and it pretty much wets its pants trying to correct all my "spelling errors."

While we're on the topic of China, what do you guys think about the CCP regulating kids' time spent playing video games? I've often thought we (in the US) need something like that, but then I realize that would be a huge encroachment on our personal freedom. We Americans are big on personal freedom ;)
One time I tried to argue with someone that if it's a government's function to protect its citizens from harmful things (e.g. drugs) for one reason or another (e.g. "it's ethically right", or "not doing so hurts productivity and creates load on the health system"), then the government should be totalitarian and regulate all aspects of a person's life, including strict rationing of food according to the activity level of each person. Either that is one of its functions and it should regulate both, or it's not and it should regulate neither.
One time I tried to argue with someone that if it's a government's function to protect its citizens from harmful things (e.g. drugs) for one reason or another (e.g. "it's ethically right", or "not doing so hurts productivity and creates load on the health system"), then the government should be totalitarian and regulate all aspects of a person's life

The government makes certain drugs illegal - to keep productivity mainly. People get addicted to it then it becomes their whole life. Its not that they care about the people, which by that logic would mean they should regular food and such, but that they care about the productivity of the country.
The rationale of productivity loss is as applicable to drugs as it is to overeating, lack of exercise, and other unhealthy habits. Arguably, it is more applicable to the latter two.
"overeating, lack of exercise, and other unhealthy habits"

People experience these things all the time, but they can still go into work the next day and serve burgers or crunch numbers or whatever. If you're doing cocaine, you quit your job and you can't do anything without getting your fix.
Last edited on
Use does not necessitate addiction. That's comically naive.

Cardiovascular disease is the number one killer in the world. Clearly some of those people are not getting back to work the next day. Why go after the less likely form of death instead of the most likely one?
Pages: 123