Write a C++ program that prompts the user to enter 5

Pages: 123
Most apps these days store temporary files somewhere under C:\Users\*\AppData\Local or C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming.

I have a fairly old-ish version of CCleaner, before it became a malware / junkware vector. I do not know its current state.

That said, it was pretty good at getting rid of a lot of garbage that you would otherwise have to really hunt down.
George P wrote:
it reports it's cleaned approx. 255GB on each of my 3 desktop PCs. That is 255GB for each PC.

Holy Moses.

Duthomhas wrote:
Most apps these days store temporary files somewhere under C:\Users\*\AppData\Local or C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming.

Isn't the C:\ a Windows thing? I've never seen it used on my Mac.
I use CCleaner as a very part-time disk and registry cleaner, I have other apps for the daily primary use.

The tools I use most often -- including Windows' own disk cleanup -- know how to eradicate unnecessary files from %appdata% and other "arcane" HD locations.

I've had apps try to sneak excess storage on my data HD (D:\). *SQUASH!*

Especially annoying is the OS "restore point" junk. Several hundred MB at a whack if you turn the feature on. I don't since I have a 3rd party HD backup system that runs daily. At most if I have to restore the entire boot HD I'd lose whatever I had changed/added since that morning's backup.

That 255GB/300GB saved on each PC is app temp files and the like. Browser data, cookies, etc. It can also be files/folders previously installed apps left behind when they were updated or uninstalled. That is over several years, not all at once.

Some Windows apps can to be a bit messy about not cleaning up after themselves.

Drive letters date back to MS-DOS, and were forwarded to Windows when it was just a thin-layered shell that ran on top of DOS. Win9X/NT and later don't, though Windows' command prompt can simulate that old style DOS prompt.

Default DOS drive letters were A:\ for a floppy drive, maybe a secondary floppy at B:\, and C:\ for a hard-drive. 500MB for a hard-drive was HUUUUUGE!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 123