C++ GUI recommendations?

Pages: 12
Fix the errors with ESC, the two instances of a misnamed variable, and nocurses compiles fine with 2019 as well.

I did notice two parts of the library don't work, underlining text and the blinking cursor when running the demo from within VS.

A real big drawback....run the exe in a console window not launched from VS and many of the terminal fanciness routines don't work.

Nice idea this header only library, but no seegar.
Still doesn't work for me. VS 2019 Version 16.11.7 x86 Release
Maybe later I can try different builds.

Error	C2220	the following warning is treated as an error	C_CONSOLE
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.19041.0\um\winbase.h	9531	

Warning	C5105	macro expansion producing 'defined' has undefined behavior	
C_CONSOLE	C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.19041.0\um\winbase.h	9531	

Last edited on
I received errors like that if I set the the VS C/C++ language standard to disable language extensions. I have that set default to Yes so every new project/solution disables language extensions.*

Disable (say No) and the demo code compiled fine. And the library functions (most of them) worked as expected when the exe was launched for the VS IDE. Launch the exe by any other means and a lot of the functions crapped out. Compiled with 2019 or 2022.

*Disabling language extensions makes in my experience any WinAPI code bomb, the API is chock full of language extensions.

Just for Gits and Shiggles I tried the demo and header in Code::Blocks. Bomb-o! Same results when launching the app outside of the VS IDE.

It looks as if the console window launched from the VS IDE is non-standard. Sure would have been nice if the header actually worked "generically".
Console VT100 support only works with Windows 10 since build 1511. You need to enable it first before usage by setting console output mode to ENABLE_VIRTUAL_TERMINAL_PROCESSING

See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/console/console-virtual-terminal-sequences

This also lists the supported VT100 codes.

Thanks,

I will have to forget since I use Windows 8.1
I tried and tried, and tried, enabling console output mode to activate VT100 support, and just can't seem to get the ferschlugginer stuff to work.

If it takes this much work to do something that inevitably fails I guess this nocurses header-only library is not worth the effort to use.

I am definitely Win 10.
Console VT100 support only works with Windows 10 since build 1511.
VT100 support now available in Windows 10?

Better 30+ years late than never.
George P wrote:
That recommendation from Duthomas is about 13 years out of date, a lot of things have changed.

Yeah, but I've used ncurses a bit, and it does work pretty well for console manipulation.

And hi George, I haven't seen you around before! But you look to be one of the older guys here, with ~3400 comments/posts.
pro tip: click on his profile link
pro tip: click on his profile link

The name is Pimpleton. *flick* George Pimpleton.
Well, scratch me on the noggin! Furry Guy got a new moniker!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12