• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Making a Calculator (Hardware and Softwa

Making a Calculator (Hardware and Software)

How would someone go about making a calculator? I mean a physical calculator not simply a console based or GUI calculator. Obviously parts would be needed, ect, ect, but I am interested in knowing that if anyone here was told to make a calculator how you would do it.
I'd go and create a makefile named "calculator". Then I'd put in an easily accessible directory, use cd, and then type into the shell
make calculator

...Okay, jk. If I were to make a calculator and I couldn't delegate to someone else because I usually don't like working at a very low level unless there's a really good reason, then I'd get an ARM chip, read some instructions on creating a circuit board for it, follow the instructions, connect an LCD screen and a keypad, create an enclosure, and then program a simple OS in ARM Assembly. Then I'd laugh my guts out because I forgot a power source.

-Albatross
Last edited on
I'd grab a Core i5 and a GTX 480 (the processing unit, not the card), shove them on a PCB, add a 320x160x32 screen and a keypad, shove it all in a case, write the OS and then make fun of Albatross' pathetic 8-bit display.
Interesting project. I overlook calculators too much, its a common tool that I use every day, but fail to see the technology behind them.
Is this the first time you've thought of messing around with hardware?
ARM's are overkill as long as you are not graphing. Use a PIC or an AVR(16 or 20 Mhz).

But anyways, if you don't have any experience with low level electronics(resistors, capacitors, etc), then this project is way to advanced. Trust me when I say you will be completely lost if you don't understand the basics of electronics before you start with microcontrollers.

I would use a simple 16x2 HD44780 based LCD.
Last edited on
Interesting project. I overlook calculators too much, its a common tool that I use every day, but fail to see the technology behind them.
Is this the first time you've thought of messing around with hardware?

Yes, it's the first time I thought to do something like this. I was actually joking with another programmer I am teaching (well, lent him a textbook anyway) that our first collaborative project should be a calculator and later thought how cool that would be to make for real.

But anyways, if you don't have any experience with low level electronics(resistors, capacitors, etc), then this project is way to advanced. Trust me when I say you will be completely lost if you don't understand the basics of electronics before you start with microcontrollers.

I have done some low level stuff (water gauge with LED and an electronic piano - tin foil keys) but nothing to talk about and it was too long ago to remember properly. I do have an interest in creating hardware that has software attached which would both be self made, so if anyone has another small project incorporating the two elements then I would be glad to know.
I would go to www.allaboutcircuits.com, and start reading the ebook if you really have an interest in electronics.
Yes, it's the first time I thought to do something like this
For my first hardware project, i wired a USB hub into my mouse, cut out a hole in the case and stuck the ports through. It's sick :P
No, i take that back, i put a USB flash drive in a pen first. But that's not so much hardware.
This summer i'm gonna build an old arcade game station with one of our old computers that's good for nothing else. That should be a fun project, keyboard matrixes are fun:P

Thanks for that link Vexer, it looks promising
I thought you were referring to coupling software and hardware, because I have done just hardware before as well. Like previously stated I built a water gauge with LED light indicators and an electric piano with a breadboard, wiring, small speaker, and some simple tin based objects. Unfortunately both of those projects do not have any software and I did them so long ago the knowledge gained has been lost.
I mean a physical calculator

Simple, make an abacus.
Tortillahead, we are gathered here today to burn you for your heresy, which is namely calling a counting tool a calculator. ;)

-Albatross
Actually, an abacus is not really different from a computer. The only difference is that it uses ten-ary digits
It's actually pretty easy but I would stress that its tedious easy. My brother is doing electrical engineering and they had to build a calculator from ground up. They did, however, I cannot tell you the exact method. Maybe in a year or two when I take the class, I can tell you.

If I remember, I would resurrect this thread from the dead. :)
Wikipedia describes an abacus as a calculating tool used primarily performing arithmetic processes. Since a definition of a calculator resembles the definition of an abacus, I think it's safe to classify abacus as a calculator. ;)
Hey, I was only kidding. I was just noting the difference in their complexities.

-Albatross
Difference in their complexities? I know how to use a calculator, but I can't use a damn abacus.
It's hilarious how many serious threads end up in jokes and people not helping the OP in any way :P (or just answer it really short and go on to the fun part) :P

edit: gotta love chrisname's solution btw :P
Last edited on
You might need to use assembly to control the hardware of the calculator. As for the hardware I'm clue-less.

Why do you want to make a calculator anyway? Just buy one.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.