A good book for begginers.

Hello.

I've been searching a bit and some people (In internet obviously, in forums and web pages, they have not ever chatted or faced me) suggest me "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++", in turn, other people say that that book is useless to be used in the real life.

I do not like to listen just a sight point, I want to know what other kind of people think about it because my university does not demand a specific book to study, it only matters that I study regardless whence it comes.

Well, beside of the book what I said. May you suggest me another one? What do you think about that book?

Thanks in advance.
Actually I don't agree with the list.

Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ for Beginners is not really that good a book. My personal recommendation would still be C++ Primer by Stanley Lippman.

For intermediate, why I don't see Scott Meyers Effective C++ ? This is my all-time favorite.
I'll give other example.

Some people use to say that Karate is better than Kung-Fu for X and Y reasons.
Some people use to say that the last sentence is wrong, Kung-Fu is better for A and B reasons.

But, in facts, both are martial arts and they help you to defend yourself, so... Is really that book "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++" as bad as the people say? I'm not kidding I don't want to spend so much money for an useless thing.

I want to know what a person who already got graduated think about it, obviously that person have to have read at least one, and I'd like to know his personal experience between "studying vs working in the real life"

I hope do not be annoying =)
I don't even remember what books I've read at the beginner level.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
My first C++ book was Walter Savich's "Absolute C++", and I still reference it today. You can't really go wrong with a C++ book written by Bjarne Stroustrup either since he is the creator of the language. Effective C++ is also most excellent.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
paradoxa4,

If you have no programming experience then "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++" is a good place to start. As the title says its aim is to teach programming using C++ a lot of books are a bit thin on the teaching of programming in general.

If you already have programming experience then the book may not be for you.

As to the book being "useless to be used in the real life", all beginners books are fairly useless once you are past a point in your education.

The only advise that can be given is; find a copy and read a chapter or two and see how you get on with it.

--------------
sohguanh,

For intermediate, why I don't see Scott Meyers Effective C++ ? This is my all-time favorite.
Effective C++ has been on my book shelf for a very long time and has not been off it for quite a while. That is not to say that it is not a good book, it is (at least the first and second editions are), I just have not had the time to review it and I have not seen it talked about much recently. So it has not made it to the list because it is not on my radar at this time.
I personally recommend "Beginning C++ through Game Programming, Second Edition", by Michael Dawson. Despite the fact that it's called "through Game Programming", they are just example applicants of the concepts taught throughout the book. (I don't want a discussion coming up about console being a bad medium, this is really a book for beginners. The only relation to Game Programming is that the example codes are related to game concepts.)

Along with that you should really have followed the tutorials on this website (and those on http://xoax.net/ if you did not already).
my favorite would be Modern C++ Design by Andrei Alexandrescu
closed account (1yvXoG1T)
I just finished C++ Without Fear by Brian Overland and thought it was very easy to understand yet didn't sugarcoat the subjects. Rather than focus on writing a particular way it just presents the concepts and walks you through them.
my favorite would be Modern C++ Design by Andrei Alexandrescu

I'm reading that book right now and it is not for beginners; it covers policy-based class design, typelists, code-generation with template metaprogramming, custom allocators, and how to apply those techniques to a number of popular design patterns from the GoF book.
// I support Kyon's "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming" indeed. That was the book that I felt had some of the best code examples for actually understanding it through practice.

// I'm also soon going to try out "C++ Without Fear"!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.