• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Is it hard to find a job in this industr

Is it hard to find a job in this industry?

I'll be a senior in high school next year. I'm planning to get a BA in Computer Science. My question is will it be difficult to find a job with that? I live in a medium size city (pop. 75,000+). Do you think I'll be able to find a job here or will I most likely have to move to a larger city? I'd like to go into video games, is there anything extra you think I should do for that? I'm learning C++ and reading as much as I can about anything I can get my hands on, but what else should I do? Any suggestions/tips are appreciated.
75k, You may end up in a bigger city. Especially if your city is graduating quite a few CS Grads. Supply/Demand thing.

For Game Dev, It's better (IMO) to do a proper Game development degree. There are a few universities around that offer these courses now.
According to this guy (at 32:00)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dBmiLQhT33A

He says they'd rather a person with a good core knowledge of software engineering, I dunno, I'll keep that in mind as well. It stinks that my school offers no courses in anything to do with programming because maybe the teacher would be able to help me out.

Thanks for the reply
I know a few games developers here in the UK and they'd rather employ someone who can write code but understands, lives and breathes games and knows the industry, than a brilliant developer who doesn't know anything about games.

There seems to be lots of little companies in this sector with just a handful of staff. If you can go to them with a game you have written off your own back and show them. That is usually enough to get you in the door (as long as it is half decent of course).
mikeb570 (90) , from my experience (nowadays I finish my M.Sc. in computer science) I can say you that the rule for finding a good job as a programmer, is very simple:
if (you are a talented programmer)
       you will find a good job and fast;
else
       it will be difficult;

so, if you want to success, just learn, learn and learn everything you can!
Goodluck :)
Last edited on
Thanks for all the replies.

Question:

Aside from game development, do other employers want to see a portfolio of work you have done?
Last edited on
Yes.
Absolutely,

Just because it computers does not mean that you shouldn't have a well rounded portfolio. A specialization is what makes the money, but a general knowledge is what gets you hired. In this day and age knowing how to program is great and all, but if you can't work well with a team then forget about it. You wont even get hired at MacDonald's!!

Some key points
Know how to speak your language whether its English, Spanish, French, binary or all four. Also don't just know one thing, know many. Let me give you an example.

At the current moment I am working for Staples (for those of you that don't know, they are an office supply store) I wasn't hired because I am a geek, and live on a computer, though that is what they wanted, they hired me because I present myself as a good worker, who can be friendly and curtious to the customer. As well as work hard and for them.

If I was a geek, with no social skills, what good am I, I wont be able to communicate the product that the customer needs or be able to sell the services the company offers.

Also, doing free work looks great (I mean like on the lines of community service). It shows two things,

1- You enjoy what you do so much you do it whether you get paid or not.
2- You are dedicated.

Also the benefits of doing probono work is:

1 - It builds your portfolio
2 - Gives you experience that will pay off in the end

NOTE: Once you get hired, doing stuff for free does not apply. You should (and by law must) be compensated for all work done for the company. By no means ever tell them you will work for free!

So in closing, look past just programming, also look at what else you can do for a company, whether it is the ability to speak you native language fluently and without error, or you are a good leader, or even more so a good listener/follower (If your not the boss, someone else is telling you what to do, and they want to see cooperation).

If you present yourself well and work hard, you will get a job, I promise you!

Hope this helps!
@Kacko: I agree with what you have posted; but there is a flip-side to this.

I work for a scientific research company. I was employed because of what I know. I applied for a job that had a different set of development skills than I used primarily (but had previously worked in) and was offered a position based on my Object-Orientated C++ and Database Development abilities (as well as others).

I am also a contract developer to a local district health board. This is because I have knowledge of multi-threaded C# development.

I fit into niche development areas that have very few (real) skilled people. This means that I am often offered job's based purely on my abilities. I could be a social retard and still get the position because they know I can do the work.

Having a good portfolio does go along way to showing this :)
@Zaita

Tusche

( I spell that right... TOOO - SHAYY)
@kacko :D Touche (if I spelt it right :P)
@kaco & Zaita:
Touché
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touché
They probably have it right :P
Last edited on
Yea I was right :P Too lazy to find é though.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.