New BSD (or maybe Linux) based OS

Pages: 12
rapid - are you talking about Java maybe? Because I personally never have seen a compiled JavaScript, and JS really isn't suitable at all for anything other than small scripts. If you are though, it'd have to be a pretty crappy JVM to get 20x slower performance than C - and Java programs crash too if the programmer fucks up.
Last edited on
No, I'm talking about JavaScript.

Because I personally never have seen a compiled JavaScript

Ok, so are you saying you are an IE6 user? ;)
Because all other major browsers have JITed JavaScript. The two performance leading ones are Chrome and Firefox.
And performance is 20x worse only if you can't really code in JS - good idiomatic JS is usually much faster. If you don't believe me, just see how JS compares to C in the Great Language Shootout - in one case the benchmark program is even faster than C and median from all teste is JS only 4x slower than C.

and Java programs crash too if the programmer fucks up.

Oh, yeah. The last time I saw Java application crash was Eclipse on Linux a week ago. It crashed in native code - the culprit was broken GTK, which is heavily used by SWT. Besides that, I've seen lots of complex Java applications misbehaving in one or another way, but they never crashed leaving me without my data.

Just install a global catch-all exception handler and it just can't crash due to a bug in the application. And probably all GUI frameworks already contain a global catch-all handler. So the only bad thing that can happen is that the application does not do what you asked it for - you get a stacktrace instead and you can continue using the application (e.g. saving the file). But it won't crash. Even if it is out of memory, it will be sluggish, but still won't crash. It might crash only if your CPU/memory/OS/JVM is broken or you do something very nasty in native code through JNI (but then you just asked for it).
Last edited on
In my opinion, languages aren't necessarily slow. It's their tools (EDIT: and users) that make fast or slow programs out of it.

-Albatross
Last edited on
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
In my opinion, languages aren't necessarily slow. It's the programmer that make fast or slow programs out of it.

fixed that for you

In my opinion, languages aren't necessarily slow. It's the programmer that make fast or slow programs out of it.
fixed that for you

+1
It also depends on circumstance.
Although the programmer is probably ~70% of how fast programs run, the other ~30% is probably the language.
The other ~30% is probably the hardware :P
I'm saying if it was running on the exact same hardware
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
You guys are thinking waaaaaaaaaaay too much about this.
It's 70% progammer, 30% language, 30% hardware, 20% luck, and 19% Sodium. Note that there was a buffer overrun in generating these results.
Last edited on
@shacktar

and 99% hotgas lol
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12