small survey (3 questions)

Would you play a video game that had you say some stuff near the beginning of the game and it recorded those things and edited the audio together throughout the game to use as the voice of your character? (simple stuff like saying "a" or pronouncing certain sounds like "oo") Would you like the concept?

EDIT: Do you know of a video game that already does it? If so (and if you remember), what is it called?
Last edited on
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
In the past when I've played games, it was to escape from reality. Superimposing reality onto a game seems counter-intuitive for what I play them for, so:

Play? Probably not
Like? Probably not

The closest thing that I've seen to that was when Disturbed released their album "Asylum" and had a flash game that took the user and "Disturbified" them to be checked into the asylum.
I see it more as a better way to insert yourself into the game and make it more like its actually you in the game, I think it would make it easier to fall out of reality and into the world of the video game you playing, but that's my opinion, I value your input and am thankful that you have posted your response. :)
Play? If the game is good.
Like? If the game is good.

I think it'd be a cool feature, but I think it'd be really hard to get enough phrases and stuff for that kind of stuff.
ya, I havent really tried to set anything up yet, I wanted to see what people thought of the idea before I started doing anything, cause I think it would be a cool feature
I don't think it would work well. It would sound more awkward than those Steven Hawking type robot voices.
if I did set up an engine for that purpose I'd make sure it cleaned up the sounds and stuff first so that it doesnt sound like crap, but still I think its a cool concept
closed account (zb0S216C)
c0d3Man15 wrote:
Would you play a video game that had you say some stuff near the beginning of the game and it recorded those things and edited the audio together throughout the game to use as the voice of your character? (sic)

Yeah, if it worked properly. Two audio samples alone wouldn't be sufficient to generate an entire dialog for an actor. The client would have to read out the entire dialog before beginning the game, which is obviously not what the client intended.

c0d3Man15 wrote:
Would you like the concept? (sic)

I'd like to see it in action. However, if the client hasn't got a microphone, problems would arise.

Wazzak
Interestingly (or maybe not, depends who you are), I went to the University of East Anglia today and one of the demos in their CS deptartment was visual speech recognition and visual text-to-speech. It was nothing short of amazing. I can't remember exactly how it works, but it's something like this:

They had people read 300 stock phrases (for ten minutes) while a camera recorded videos of their face. Then, out of the 300 videos they manually selected 30 and the computer extrapolated the person's facial details as they spoke into 30 still images. Then the computer generated a "mean face" (that's mean as in average not mean as in cruel). It could then play back the audio and dynamically generate a new facial expression from the mean face for each phoneme spoken. It could even translate the audio to a different language (and still have accurate facial expressions) or make you seem like you were a different gender; AFAIK all in real-time (the "demo" was actually videos of things they'd done before, it wasn't done in front of us). Again, amazing.

You'll probably find it here:
http://www.uea.ac.uk/cmp/research/graphicsvisionspeech/speech/Research+Projects

[edit]I think it's this one: http://www.uea.ac.uk/cmp/research/graphicsvisionspeech/speech/Creating+Expressive+Three-Dimensional+Talking+Faces
Last edited on
No.

If the game has a fixed character with little chosen variations, Mass Effect being the example on the max here. Then I prefer the character being voiced with an actor.

If the game impose a character generation process where you could pretty much make a lot of different characters, then voicing would simple render the character creation process useless, so I prefer no voice for the main character. Let my mind give the character voice.

What you propose would be hard to do and with the average computer microphone, it would sound horrible. It would also be tedius to say ah, eh, eeh, oh, ooh, and the programming to get it to work would be hard as intonation isn't the same on all ah sounds and so on.
as long as i enjoy playing it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.