Look at these specs!

Pages: 12
Jesus christ look at the specs on these computers for a ridiculous price: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=DDF9ECA3EE7295319F81388519B2B09A

Not trying to come off as a walking ad (even if it seems like that), but I choked when I saw this.
Last edited on
"Seems"? I'm now accusing you of being the most dedicated spammer ever.
And I deny your accusations. I was just showing the computer, because I thought it was cool, but I appreciate your biggotry nonetheless.
Last edited on
Well, even if that had been a serious reply instead of a joke, it didn't contain any bigotry.
I personally am a desktop guy but the laptop is cool.
Argh, my bad, I thought you were serious, so I apologize.

The biggotry I was referring too was that almost all of the time when people post links on this forum, they are accused of "advertising," and the concept that they're actually just trying to share something seems unfathomable. Nonetheless, you were joking so I'm sorry.
The price ain't that bad. Though I know where I can get a better desktop PC for the same price. Without windows, but I could get that for free anyways if I wanted to.
@hanst99 Do tell.
It's a local shop. Unless you're german, I doubt you'll have much use for the info. Though to be honest I'm not sure anymore whether it's the same price or not, I don't know the exact US$->€ conversion rate.
@hanst99 Thanks anyway.
System76 sells Ubuntu PC's just as good as this for around the same price.

And yeah, you could easily get a better desktop, since they usually start off at lower prices.
Last edited on
I've been looking at System76 for some time now. Although my current computer is probably going to last me at least another two years, I think it's still a good idea to decide roughly what computer I'll want in advance (although admittedly this is quite a bit in advance).

Has anyone heard anything about their reliability? That's really my main concern because while their laptops have decent specifications at the higher end, I have not heard anything about how reliable they are.

-Albatross
My next computer is definitely going to be the one I posted at the top here :o

I'm pretty sure one of my friends has a system76, I'll see if he can tell me anything about them.
If you're looking for deals, why not build your own computer?
If you're looking for deals, why not build your own computer?

It depends. Nowadays desktop PC prices are dropping so much with the rise of tablet,netbook etc, it can be cheaper to buy one with warranty. Even building your own can be expensive depending on the components you source. A good power supply can cost 50-100 while with 599 I can get a complete PC + 20" monitor. But there is a downside to modern desktop, a lot of cards come integrated with the motherboard so if one component spoil you are gone. However, nowadays PC lifespan is shorter than ever. About 3 years you can start get a new one already.

Self assembly is more worthwhile (cost savings) back in the 90s - 2000s. I guess during that time not a lot of china manufactured chips exporting to the world then :P
Those are some very nice deals, but I keep wondering... 5400rpm HDs? Come on. :/
You can always put in an SSD if it matters that much. I've heard this one boots in about 38 seconds anyways (it comes with a boot optimizer program to increase boot speed).
Put an SSD drive in a laptop? As in internally? I doubt that's going to be an easy task.

I never really understood the point of maximizing boot speed. You boot once per session. I'll survive the extra 30seconds.
I never really understood the point of maximizing boot speed. You boot once per session. I'll survive the extra 30seconds.

The problem is nowadays end users are pretty impatient. They will count the time it takes for pressing the power button to the time the screen appear for them to use as an indicator on how "good" the computer is.

E.g if a computer boot up in 10 seconds versus one that boot up in 30 seconds, they will think the computer that boot in 10 seconds is superior than one that boot in 30 seconds.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Put an SSD drive in a laptop? As in internally? I doubt that's going to be an easy task.

Hard drives are quite possibly the easiest thing to access on most modern laptops: remove two screws, pop it out with gentle pressure, insert the new hdd, screw it back in. SSDs are fundamentally no different in this regard.

Pages: 12