Unrelated! (Source code section)

Pages: 1234
Oh!

I don't mean to give you too much work, twicker, but this http://www.cplusplus.com/info/history/ seems to be slightly out-of-date.

Thank you!

-Albatross
Does anyone actually have non-trivial programs they'd like to put there?
I was thinking about putting up some of the major sort algorithms with some explanations just to have something there for now. Then people will actually see that there's a source code section
I've been writing an over-simplified database library in C (called libosdb); I could put it there. It's not finished but I'm pretty pleased with how the code looks.

It's over-simplified because it stores everything in flat text files and directories.

I could also post the (very unfinished) OS kernel I've been writing.
closed account (D80DSL3A)
I'm thinking of putting up some of my game programs there to help get this effort going.

@hamsterman. Please define 'non-trivial program'.

I'd have to see how it goes with attaching files to the article. Most of the programs I have that I would consider non-trivial are made from numerous files ( main.cpp + a bunch of class.h and class.cpp files usually ).
Surely, posting a couple thousand lines of code directly in the article would not be the way to go.

I would also want to include a link for downloading a .zip file with the .exe and depends in it.
This way a person could run the program to see what it actually does before deciding whether to take the code seriously.
This would also allow me to finally find out exactly what to include in those .zip files so the program will run on others computers!
Hmm... I need some ideas... the only thing I could think of is a small game I made, but it is still pretty big :-/
How about writing a small library to do some common tasks that aren't well-supported by the standard library, like intuitive directory navigation/manipulation?

-Albatross
@ Albatross good idea... just submitted a shotty radix conversion program :S
Why was the source code section removed at all?

---

I have source codes for things like dll injection, process listing, registry editing, heap viewing, file encryption and other low-level stuff. Anybody interested?
http://www.cplusplus.com/articles/sourcecode/
Post them there, I am sure some one will enjoy them :D
fun2code wrote:
Please define 'non-trivial program'.
That definition is for you to choose. Perhaps, 'useful' would have been a better word.

fun2code wrote:
[the rest of his post]
Indeed this is quite a problem. Maybe you should use something like github for the actual project, post a link to it and only the more interesting snippets of code?

With code it's hard to say what has value. Education should be our purpose, right? I assume that implementations of various algorithms might be the best choice.
Also, we really need some sort of review mechanism here to prevent poor practices, although the same is true for all articles..
Last edited on
I have source codes for things like dll injection, process listing, registry editing, heap viewing, file encryption and other low-level stuff. Anybody interested?

:D I'm interested!

Also, we really need some sort of review mechanism here to prevent poor practices, although the same is true for all articles..

This was my main concern. It would be nice to have a system in place to check for errors/usefulness. Granted, I can't really see this thing having thousands of people posting code every day, but cant hurt to be safe. I guess people for now could try to post code in the forums first, to have everyone proofread it, and then post it up in source code?
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
Is it worth coming up with some guidelines for source code?
I would say so, I'm serious about this. I think some of the more senior posters on here should likely help with formulating the guide lines
Null wrote:
Why was the source code section removed at all?
This implies that there was once a sourcecode section. Looking at this site with the wayback machine, I cannot see any evidence of a sourcecode section that registered users could freely submit source code to. Unless you're talking about the source code examples on the main site?
Last edited on
Wayback machine? :O
What is this?? I'm imagining some back to the future type device
Oh wow! This is pretty sweet
Thats crazy..!
Great news!
I submitted a XOR encryption function :)
Pages: 1234