Getting newer people to use code tags

Pages: 123
Well, you can combine them:
Newbies rarely create their own functions
Who makes functions without declaring vars inside, many times is smart enough to use tags.
Eventually, make a "No-Tags, No-Help" rule...
Yeah, then it would go the way of Allegro.cc did when they started enforcing "No Screenshot! No Download!" The site went from having tons of games posted by the users to have almost none because no one wanted to bother with the screenshots. The admin even made it so you can now attach files and inline them in the post but the damage was already done and has never recovered.

As I also pointed out, veterans still misuse the tags (some use code for quotes, quotes for code, code for output, etc). Also they were examples, my point was that an auto-formatter would have to detect and look for a lot of different things as different coders write code different ways. I've seen some write functions with spaces after them before the parenthesis which would cause an auto-formatter to miss it or mis-format the code.

This is a great community because of the fact that the other communities are anal about the tags, and such so they don't bother helping when they aren't used. Seems like this community is wanting to follow down the same road as them by worrying about tags rather than helping up and coming hobbyist programmers.
I will help people if the code isn't incredibly long, but if it's really long or hard to read I'll just tell them to put in tags.
Maybe we could have a template system like on Wikipedia and similar websites, whereby whenever someone posts code without code tags we can just write: [template]codetags[/template] or something similar, and it would expand to something like,
Please surround your code with [code](your code here)[/code] tags. This will allow your code to retain its formatting and indentation which makes it more likely that people will help you.

That way, whenever someone spots a post that needs code tags they can just post [template]codetags[/template] and leave.

[edit]
Also, @BHXSpecter, take a look at GNU indent. It wouldn't choke on a space before the parenthesis in a function declaration/definition/call.
Last edited on
It is actually very easy to account for the code recognition problems -- but there are always corner cases to cause some problems -- the auto-format option is not perfect.

Nevertheless, BHXSpecter and I are on the same page here: I'm not going to spend hoards of time on complaining about code tag problems.

Though, to be fair, I usually just hit my 'back' button when I open a post and find a page-long list of left-indented, unorganized code. (Part of asking a question is being succinct about it.)

Unrelatedly, I think two classmates here (unless he's a single split personality person) have apparently answered the question about which are smarter, cats or dogs.
http://cplusplus.com/forum/general/65899/
This one just gave me a laugh...

Cats, BTW.
Many ideas are coming out...
What about using "Code:" before the tags? I mean:
You write:
Description... Code: printf("lol"); :End
And it becomes like:
Description... Code: printf("lol"); :End
(Keeping the tags shown so everyone sees them, thats the main difference)
Ok, you now can say "That's useless"...
But once you see the tags, you know what you have to write...
This is a BBcode forum. The only difference between "[code]" and "Code:" is that one is BBcode and one is not. Whether or not the tags still appear is a different characteristic.
Oh, well, leave my idea alone - it's senseless... (Post deleted in 3, 2, 1...)
Edit: Uff, cannot delete -.-
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 123