Music you listen to (not the songs)

Pages: 12
What is the most common genre of music listened to by programmers?

For example, I listen to rap and rock.
Rap, hip hop, rock, pop, electronic, drum n bass, (some) dubstep

I like music :)
I'm not too sure about genres. I listen to a variety of music, and I don't know the genres of all of them. It also depends on my mood. I don't think theres a genre in which I won't find a few songs that I like, and there probably isn't one of which I'd like most.
I listen to a lot of music, but predominantly to various subgenres of metal, alternative and progressive rock, darkwave, celtic, new age/world music and trance(?) (e.g. Infected Mushroom).
But for many things I don't even know which genres it belongs to.
Rock....thats what keeps me going on. Music relieves the stress.
Metal, mostly death or thrash, and some classical.
Programmers listen to the same music as everyone else :P. I listen to ALL music (country, salsa, pop, rock, rap, r&b, techno, reggae, polka, etc.).
I got some AC/DC for driving, but I can't stand music while working. The few people I know who work with headphones on, seem to be into some radically different things. Like everyone else.
Generally classical/j-pop (mainly video game music). Some rock, but these are also from video games. I think you can see where I get most of my songs.
Generally classical/j-pop (mainly video game music). Some rock, but these are also from video games. I think you can see where I get most of my songs.

Yep, kids shows! ;) I like some rock type songs from games like Vanguard Bandits and sweet songs like in Lunar.
Vanguard Bandits was a fun game. I remember the first time I played it as a kid and always got the Kingdom's bad ending because apparently I sucked pretty bad at keeping people alive...
Last edited on
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Rule # 1: No "whiners" -- 99.9% of all of the crap sound that's played on 'modern' radio
stations...hate to single someone out, but [ http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110428103536AA2H4mY ] apparently I'm not the only person that hates with a passion dislikes this kind of trash content.

Rule # 2: No Rap (about abusing drugs / power / money, sexually abusing women, etc...). I don't mind "rap-like" so long as it's respectful and creative.

Rule # 3: No Country (I actually quit the first full-time job that I got after high-school because the only station that the warehouse would play was country.) For #3, there are no exceptions.

--

Other than that, I'm game for anything :)

* Cleaned up some spiteful emotionally charged language.
Last edited on
Luc Lieber, you are a man after my own heart.
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
I have a broad taste in music but generally I like it quiet while programming. However; if it is too quite, every little noise can become distracting. Under these circumstances I reach for the 'Hippy s**t', some nice ambient rain and thunder storms, or bird song by a babbling river, or some traditional Japanese Folk music. Something to break the silence but not distract me from programming.
Rule # 2: No Rap (about abusing drugs / power / money, sexually abusing women, etc...). I don't mind "rap-like" so long as it's respectful and creative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFHT9NdjNsc
RIP Donna Summer (but Disco will never truly die)..
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Donna Summer's dead thought it was a hoax, but this time I know its for real.
Just to retort Luc Lieber's anti-country post.... there's good country, but it's few and far between.

Some of the Dixie Chicks are pretty good. Sin Wagon in particular is worth a listen. (edit: actually, Dixie Chicks are more dixieland than country, but I find that people tend to not really make much a distinction between the two)

Beck isn't really country country, but he does have heavy country influences. I'm not really a huge Beck fan, but he's alright.

Ween made a whole album that was basically making fun of country music, but some of the songs were actually pretty good.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make here is... that to dismiss an entire genre and flat out say there are no exceptions is pretty closed minded. There's good and bad in just about everything. Even rap and country.
Last edited on
Disch wrote:
to dismiss an entire genre and flat out say there are no exceptions is pretty closed minded.

Unless the things you don't like about songs from that genre are what DEFINE that genre.

I can't stand country, I dislike the whole sound of it. From the style they play the instruments to the canonical vocal twang. I very much dislike it. And before someone says there are some artists and songs that aren't that twangy, that doesn't matter because I just plain don't like the twang.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Not all Country is bad:

Otis Lee Crenshaw - White Trash State of Mind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmHnpq6LXRc
Pages: 12