Hacking

Pages: 1234
I've been into computers for about two years now, and I really want to learn how to hack. I don't want to learn to hack for the illegal reasons, like getting stuff from ebay without paying for it. I want to learn how to hack because it would be a useful tool to know and the occasional facebook pranks on friends would be kind of funny to do.

I found a website that teaches how to hack, www.hackthissite.org, but it doesn't exactly teach you everything and I was told not to try learning from websites because they could screw up your computer. I was wondering if there was anyone who could tell me a good place to learn hacking in a safe environment or would be able to teach me through e-mail or something.
If you are a serious programmer you'll learn this kind of knowledge automatically by the time. Don't listen to the idiots on the internet whom want to tell you how to crack security issues. Most of them want just your money ;o)

In the past I've developed an interface between master cards and an home banking application. Well, now I know something about most of the used "secure" file systems of this cards and how to by pass them. But in fact, I'm not a criminal. For me it's fine to know this kind of information, but it's really useless.
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
"But in fact, I'm not a criminal" ... that is for the law to decide. ;0)

The law can be a very bunt instrument used to bludgeon the citizens into submission. This would be my first port of call, make sure you have a passing understanding of what is acceptable/unacceptable and the grey area in between.

It may be worth getting a book (or two) such as Gray Hat Hacking: The Ethical Hackers Handbook.

I don't think I know anything that could be useful for hacking. I could probably get software that would allow me to read and edit files that programs use for running and that probably counts as hacking, but I don't actually know how I could access web servers or anything like that.
closed account (zb0S216C)
This isn't a hacking forum. I know it's in the lounge, but still.

"Stop right there, criminal scum! You've violated the law! Pay the court a fine, or serve your sentence! Your stolen goods are now forfeit!"

Wazzak
Last edited on
I agree with shadow123. There usually isn't a way to just easily 'learn to hack'. You have to know computers inside and ... well.. not really outside. But you get the point ^_^
SQL injection is about the limit of my "knowledge" and very few websites have SQL vulnerabilities any more, but it's easy to learn so I'd start with that.
@Framework
But still what? Hacking/cracking isn't illegal, its what some people do with that skill set that makes them criminals.I feel like you are assuming that since GRex dares to ask for so-called criminal information means he is up to no good. Seems like a stereotype to me.
Last edited on
naraku9333 wrote:
"I feel like you are assuming that since GRex dares to ask for so-called criminal information means he is up to no good."

Never assume absent proof. I couldn't care less about whether he/she's a black or white hat hacker; I just said that this isn't a forum for hackers. How is that stereotypical?

Wazzak
I never thought fishing (ahem, I mean phishing) could be fun. It's not real hacking though. It's more like "fooling people".

chrisname+1

Hacking is about more than knowing the innards of a computer; it's about knowing the innards of a computer, networks, routers, scripts, cookies and protocols, and a boatload of other things.

This link explains a lot about hacking: the history, schools of thought, and evolution are all very written. Part 2 explains, in detail, the layers of TCP/IP (OSI model) and the various protocols used.

Part 3 talks about various methods and tools that can be used for penetration testing (SQL injection, session hijacking, various software, etc.)

The article also has numerous links to other pages with related information.

The most important thing (and the most mentioned thing) that the article teaches is legality. To paraphrase: Don't hack in systems/networks you aren't authorized to, don't download warez in an attempt to hack, and (for PEN testers) never exceed the predetermined limits of an authorized attack.

http://www.go4expert.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11925

N.B. The article is about the theory, not the application, of hacking. (i.e., no step-by-step instructions on how to perform a specific hack)
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
http://pentest.cryptocity.net/
Framework wrote:
I just said that this isn't a forum for hackers.
Its not a forum for girl problems, or 1337 speak, etc, etc either, I didn't notice anyone comment on that fact.
Framework wrote:
How is that stereotypical?
Maybe it was a poor choice of words, but the quote you added
"Stop right there, criminal scum! You've violated the law! Pay the court a fine, or serve your sentence! Your stolen goods are now forfeit!"
suggests (to me at least) you think the topic itself is criminal.
naraku9333 wrote:
suggests (to me at least) you think the topic itself is criminal.

Oh come on, that's just silly. It's a quote from the game Oblivion.
chrisname wrote:
Oh come on, that's just silly. It's a quote from the game Oblivion.
I wouldn't know, I rarely play video games. Does the source of the quote even matter? I was referring more to the subtext it suggested to me. But I suppose I read more into it then I should have, I have seen questions like this before (other forums mostly) and the reaction is usually similar to how homework questions are treated here. I feel it is a valid (and interesting) topic that I honestly would love to delve into but so many seem to consider it taboo. Apologies to Framework if I was rude or offended you in any way.
naraku9333 wrote:
"Its not a forum for girl problems"

You're right, it's not. However, I feel somebodies well-being is far more important that becoming a hacker.

naraku9333 wrote:
"suggests (to me at least) you think the topic itself is criminal."

The opportunity was too good to miss; I didn't mean anything by it. Though, it does kinda' fit.

naraku9333 wrote:
"I feel it is a valid (and interesting) topic that I honestly would love to delve into but so many seem to consider it taboo."

Just because other users feel the topic is inappropriate for discussion, it doesn't mean you can't reply.

naraku9333 wrote:
"Apologies to Framework if I was rude or offended you in any way."

It's all gravy. The problem with internet forums? The text representation of a discussion is easily misinterpreted.

Wazzak
Framework wrote:
The problem with internet forums? The text representation of a discussion is easily misinterpreted.

I've toyed with the idea of building some system that discerns the tone of some text based on the text/conversation it's relative to. However, no matter how I look at it, the error rate would be too high (at least with me doing the coding :P)
Yes, nothing makes a friend laugh more than logging onto Facebook to see that their name is now "Harry Dickinson"
naraku wrote:
GRex dares to ask for so-called criminal information

Ignoring the lack of context, I don't want this information for illegal reasons or anything, but I have seen practical applications of hacking where knowing how to is a good thing. If somebody doesn't know how to use remote access software or something when their computer is acting up, then it would be beneficial to both parties if one person could hack the other's computer to fix it. I've experienced this before, and I found it very beneficial.

Then there's the jokes.
dray 0 wrote:
Yes, nothing makes a friend laugh more than logging onto Facebook to see that their name is now "Harry Dickinson"

Who doesn't need a good laugh every now and then? Sure, it's not a very practical application of hacking, but it's always funny to screw with people, as long as it doesn't hurt them.

Thanks for the websites as well. I haven't spent any time checking them out yet, but I will get to them eventually and I'm sure they will be helpful in my attempt to learn more about hacking.
My main issue with why I dislike hackers is because they create viruses that end up on innocent computer's. If all they did was "steal" via file sharing (programs) and maybe pulled pranks on their friends computers which were easily fixable, then I wouldn't have such as problem with them.
@GRex
If were you I'd give up trying to get advice here on how to hack because as Framework said this isn't the site for it. I'd take shadow123's advice and learn how to hack through experience of learning how to program (as taught here with C++) which is what I plan to do. Believe, in the past I've wanted to download hack tools (specifically password crackers) but I was raised to beware of viruses and since those programs themselves are illegal it's very possible that they'd have viruses attached to them or be viruses themselves. Take shadow123's advice and learn how to program. Through the process I pretty sure you and I will learn that stuff along the way.
Pages: 1234