Game Ai without graphics

I would really like to learn a game AI programming in C++, but really hate dealing with graphics, inputs,etc. What is the best way to solve my problem. Thank You for all your help.
That's difficult really but I suppose it depends on the complexity of your AI. You could substitute graphics for console text but that's going to make things more complex in my opinion.

The only real way to see if your AI is working is to graphically see it. For example, you could implement a simple chase-evade algorithm using Bresenham's line algorithm and print the grid coordinates of each piece to the screen but it's ten times easier to see the results if you make a simple graphical application.
When you say you "...really hate dealing with graphics, inputs, etc." do you mean you don't know how to get them to work? Or you would rather keep them to a minimum?

In the first case there's not much I can do to help you. But for the later you only need to pick a simple game, I suggest basing your program on a board game like Connect Four. This uses 3 or 4 sprites total only three input buttons and you would be able to make a full game with AI.

Alternatively if you are only interested in AI and Control Systems then you could pull a 180 from your current direction: http://www.societyofrobots.com/
Computergeek01 wrote:
When you say you "...really hate dealing with graphics, inputs, etc." do you mean you don't know how to get them to work? Or you would rather keep them to a minimum?

I know basic (and i mean basic) SDL, but dislike graphics programming...the APIs are too complex, or maybe no good tutorial.

iHutch105 wrote:
make a simple graphical application

Simple? NNs are simple, graphics, quite the opposite :P

Computergeek01 wrote:
Alternatively if you are only interested in AI and Control Systems then you could pull a 180 from your current direction

Quite ironic, the reason I am doing this activity is to learn AI for making a robot. My friends are handling the mechanics, my job is the AI, and they want to see me in action before we spend $50 (converted from another currency). Yes I know game ai, and robot ai are nothing alike, i just need to prove to my friends i can program ai. (PS: They are not programmers)

Would indie gaming help?
start small, use tic tac toe open source and make an AI for that, move onto other simple games and work your way up
Depending on the type of robot, they can actually be VERY similar. I have programmed robots for engineering classes I've taken at my school, and I develop games for fun (and hopefully as a career in the future) and I can tell you that there are definitely similarities. The biggest difference is mainly the interface, i.e. getting input (keyboard/mouse vs robot sensors) and sending output (motors/lights/servos vs screen/speakers). A lot of the logic (path finding, basic decision making) is the same for both. Of course this also depends highly on the type of robot, but it should be at least similar.
Well, you could make a draughts/chess game without graphics, but with movements specified using a standard notation (i.e. "a2 a3" and the like). It's not that hard to create such game that will beat the hell out of casual players, so you will most likely make a positive impression. Of course this has nothing to do with robot AI...
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.