Getting more experienced in C++

Hi there,

Well, my first post here. I have been programming in C++ for about one year now. I never started a serious project, but I want to do that now. At the moment I am working on a Shop System (more like a Cash Register) as a Terminal based program.

I am working at a supermarkt and we use some sort of hand-pc's which run some sort of Windows (it looks like Windows), that gets me to the point. I want to first of all port D-SS (my shopsystem) to a graphical user interface and after that I want to implement functions for printing certain cards and things.

How and where can I learn about communicating to hardware via drivers and how do I use those?

I hope I gave enough information. So what I want is:
- A GUI (running on a Linux kernel) communicating with hardware. How to learn or do that.

- Martin
Last edited on
We had the same problem, but we used Windows. Our idea was, instead of loosing too much time, we better should buy some realtime suite for about 4000$.
Well, let me first tell you that I don't have any high rank at the super market, just some who fills the shelves. But next year is my graduation year and I have an idea of creating a GUI application for supermarkets.
For a GUI application you don't need a Realtime Suite. So it wouldn't be a bad idea to start with the GUI application and later combine it with hardware.

But before you begin with the GUI application, it wouldn't be wrong, to think about the fitting OS, so that the combination with hardware will not become expensive and can be easily done.
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
- A GUI (running on a Linux kernel) communicating with hardware. How to learn or do that.
Look at Qt
http://qt.nokia.com/
I'm already learning to use Qt, I heard from some people that it is a very good IDE for creating GUI's.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
It is not an IDE, it is a cross-platform application and User interface framework.
QtCreator is an IDE, Qt is a GUI framework.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.